// twenty-one //

•Mad Hatter•

••••••

••••••

H A L L O W E E N  was supposed to be a calm celebration for Reina this year, but after having an eye opening conversation with Valerio, Reina decided it was better to actually attend Rebeca's party, wanting to mend her relationship with the guy, who just wanted to be with her. His words still haunted Reina, adding to a long list of problems the redhead was already facing. Valerio's, however, was far easier to approach and she needed her anchor back, someone who showed her a different life from black and white.

Reina stood in front of a mirror, staring at her halloween costume from the previous year. She remembered the party at Lu's, where the Montesinos had called out Reina's choice to dress up as a, in Lu's words, swamp fairy, leaving Reina self conscious and sad. A lot has changed since then, she really didn't care anymore even if she was wearing the same thing.

She wasn't a swamp fairy, she saw the costume a dreamful ocean's fairy, draped in baby blue paint. Reina wore a long, material on material draped dress, the trail around her legs worrying Reina that someone might step on her at the crowded room. Her chest area was covered with beads, sewn to look like silver tree roots with flowers hanging on a sides. Her draped material hang on her bare arms, creating a princess like feeling, but Reina didn't see herself as one. She saw herself as an evil queen, ready to destroy everything on her path and that visualization nerved the girl when she finally pulled away to show her sisters her look.

Maria, who was still home, offered Reina two thumbs up, smiling widely, but Gabriela, who sat at the end of Reina's bed grimaced. "You wore the same fairy costume last year, Reina!" the louder twin complained, wanting to see Reina become someone different, but Reina didn't really have costumes on her mind nor cared. "Why the hell are you going like this again?"

Reina sighed, reaching to grab her head piece - a flower crown as a small crystal hung in front of Reina's forehead. She also had wings, but didn't know if she wanted to burden herself more. It's not like she had anything angelic to feel about. "I don't care, Gabi. I don't have the time nor need to find something else. Besides, it's good to know I still fit into the dress."

Maria smiled gently, standing up to her feet, seemingly a hard move for her to make since she heaped and approached Gabriela, standing behind the girl, who was back on her phone. "I'm glad you're going. Mom had hinted that you wanted to spend Halloween with us, which, as Gabriela would say, is totally boring and useless."

Gabriela agreed with a muse, still on her phone so Reina sighed, wanting to tell Maria that every holiday counted now since nobody knew when something bad could happen to Maria. This thought made Reina feel guilty again because she wanted to stay home with the girls. Alejandro was out of the country on a business trip, leaving the females to breathe easier. "I still want to spend this Halloween with you three," Reina agreed, standing back in front of the mirror to paint dots on her face that would glow in the dark as Rebeca's party theme suggested to do. "I'm only going because I need to clear things with someone..."