Starlit Joy

(Y/N) POV - 1305 words

He's awake, and probably heading your way, Korako alerts me. 

Not a minute later, Gon comes stumbling out the doorway.

"(Y/N)?" he sounds asleep, "What are you doing out here?"

"Just looking at the stars"

"Oh. It's nice to have you back, both of you," he replies, joining me on the balcony.

"It's nice to be back. I didn't realize how much I missed you guys, actually," I say quietly with a secret smile.

"What happened to you guys? Killua's covered in cuts and bruises, and you look fine, but something tells me you're not completely alright. I know Killua's parents are a little intense... and sporadic, but something tells me I'm not seeing the whole picture."

"You're very perceptive," I say instead of answering his question. Gon doesn't need to know, and unless he straight out asks me, I'm not going to offer up the information.

"On Whale Island, I was really good at identifying things by smell and by sight, I guess it's carried over. I never knew I'd be so good with other people, though, since I haven't been around anyone except Aunt Mito," he looks up wistfully.

"Your Aunt Mito, she sounds nice from what you've told me about her."

"Yeah, she really is," he smiles brightly, "She's the one who raised me, and I love her a lot. I'm really glad she let me take the Hunter Exam, I'm pretty sure she wasn't going to until she realized I wouldn't be talked out of it."

I chuckle lightly, "Sounds like you."

"You should meet her sometime, I think you'd like each other. You're both strong and you're both really loyal," Gon says.

"How do you know I'm loyal?"

"A hunch," he replies. He's silent for a second, "So what did happen to you guys? Neither of you seem really changed by it, whatever it was."

The torture was easier to deal with than the proposal. I mean, the shock factor alone renders me nearly speechless every time I think about it. Come to think of it, Killua and I haven't talked about it since the Butlers' quarters. I wonder how he's doing with it.

I sigh, "Do you really want to know?"

"Yes. You guys are my friends."

"I was tested, in you know, assassin stuff. Killua, well, his parents are really strict so they didn't like how he left. They had to punish him," I don't look at this boy who feels so much like a brother to me.

"What– what did they do?"

"I'm going to plead the fifth on your question, kid."

"That bad?"

I just smile and shake my head, "Not for us. We were born and bred for this, but to someone who wasn't, it may sound like horror. It's just a Tuesday for us, basically."

I glance at him out of the corner of my eye. His head is tilted towards the sky, leaning on the rail of the balcony.

"Do you think he'll go back?"

The question is a strange one.

"Not for a while, but eventually I think he may have to."

Gon nods, not asking me to elaborate. I think it would be too much to absorb for one night, anyway. There's a lot of history with families like mine and Killua's. Our lineages stretch back centuries, and to really understand what makes us click, you have to start at the very beginning. In our line of work, with our entire families in the business, no detail is too small or insignificant to be overlooked. Everything has its place.