Lessons and Compromises

(Y/N) POV - 4360 words

As we all settle in for the next 50 hours, Kurapika turns to Killua.

"Killua," he begins, "Can you tell me how that technique works? The one that you used to instantly remove his heart."

"Oh, that one," my friend responds, "It wasn't a technique, really. I just ripped it out."

Gon blinks in surprise. Just then, Killua's eyes sharpen, "Well, to be fair, I did manipulate my body some. Made it a lot easier."

He strengthens his hand, making his nails grow longer and sharper. It's a simple thing to do, everyone assassin learns it when they're very young. It's a trick of the trade, you might say. 

"Mass murderers talk big, but they're still just amateurs," Killua says, "I used to be a professional, but my old man would've done a lot better." 

He looks off into the distance wistfully, "When he takes a heart, there's not even a drop of blood." 

Leorio laughs nervously, "That's good to know, thanks kid."

I smile evilly as Kurapika begins to assess Killua, "Interesting. By the way, how is your father these days? It's been years since I saw him last. As I may recall, he thought I was pretty impressive myself."

Killua turns to me, matching my grin, "He's good, I guess. Haven't seen him in a while. And yeah, he thought you were great, a true killer. For weeks after you came over he kept saying, '(Y/N) this and (Y/N) that. You should kill like (Y/N).' You know, the same old stuff."

"Same old stuff?" Leorio nearly yells in surprise. 

"What?" I ask, "You've seen what we can do, is it really such a surprise killing is a high standard we're held to?"

"No," Leorio shakes his head, "I get that, but..."

He pauses for a second and I brace myself, "You guys knew each other before? And you've been to his house? How come you've acted like total strangers?"

Everyone stares blankly at him, Korako included. Leorio stutters, "W-What?"

"Well, for one thing, I haven't seen him in what, four years? Also, we haven't acted like strangers," I explain. Leorio looks towards the ceiling, thinking. It seems like a lightbulb goes off in his head and he turns to assess us in a different light.

He seems to be analyzing everything about the two of us: how close we're standing, how comfortable we are around each other, how we seem to trust each other more than the others. He stands suddenly, "Oh! I get it!"

I sigh, shaking my head. He sure is a character. I glare, "I still haven't forgiven you for earlier, you perverted old man."

He shakes a bit in anger before remembering what had happened last time and takes a second to calm his anger. He turns away and grumbles in displeasure. Sighing, I grab my weapons and jacket from the corner. Killua had brought them in and set them aside. I whisper a quiet 'thank you' to him and begin the painstaking process of returning everything to their proper places.

Killua says, "We've got more than two days. We've gotta do something."

I strap my wrist sheaths back into place and pull my jacket on. The two swords on my back settle between my shoulder blades with a welcome—and familiar—weight. As I pin all the poison darts back into place on my dress, I begin to think how it would've been far easier just to remove the whole dress in the first place. I'm wearing leggings and a tank-top so it would've been fine modesty-wise. 

I exhale deeply as the last pin slips into place. Finally. Gon and Killua have gotten the television to turn on and begin to argue over what film to watch. I look to the ceiling and say, "Lippo, may I have the cleaning supplies and the body?"