Promises and Depth of Mind

(Y/N) POV - 2415 words

The tops spin erratically with seemingly no rhyme or reason. Wing really should've taught them Gyo. It would've helped immensely... then again, he didn't think they'd be fighting this soon. 

One of the tops strikes Gon straight in the face, sending him soaring across the arena. He lands on his back, dust swirling around the place of impact. 

"Clean hit and knockdown! Two points!" the referee shouts, looking at Gon's face. The boy in question quickly jumps back up again, crouching, ready.

"Gido has already earned four points!" the announcer yells across the cheering stadium.

There are far too many tops for Gon to track them with his eyes. His instincts are his greatest strength—well, one of them—he needs to use them. 

I have to hand it to Gido, it's pretty difficult controlling so many objects at once. I tilt my head slightly, it looks cool, too. Maybe I could try something like that sometime.

Killua taps me on the shoulder and speaks. I can barely hear him over the crowd.

"Whatcha thinkin' about?"

"Nothing much. Those tops, they're being controlled by Nen. It seems like a cool technique that I want to try sometime."

"Oh," he falls silent for a moment.

"Not the answer you were expecting?"

He shrugs. Just as I'm about to ask if there's something on his mind, he blurts, "How does it work?"

"It's a form of Hatsu, I think. Gido's projecting his aura into the tops. The tops then move with more strength and speed than they normally could—as is clearly evident by how Gon's getting his ass handed to him right now," I gesture to the arena floor, "He can manipulate so many because they're small, but a larger, heavier object like a boulder would require exponentially more aura."

"Is that all he's doing?"

"Probably not. Those tops look like they hurt... they wouldn't be able to do that if he were just making them spin. The tops probably hold some sentimental value or something. Objects are far easier to control if you are close with them... if that makes sense."

I pause, "They're not targeting him. Gido probably just commanded them to hit anything that's in their path. I believe that would take considerably less aura to do, and less concentration on his behalf. Gido wouldn't want to concentrate too hard and be struck."

Gon dodges and weaves through intricate traps and mazes made by the paths of the tops. All of a sudden, he stops and stands still. I can't quite tell from the distance we're at, but it looks like he's closing his eyes.

"He's got it," I murmur.

"What?"

"They're being controlled by Nen, he has to feel them."

As Gon's concentrating, his Ten begins to fade. No, no, no, no, no. I don't realize I'm saying it outloud until Killua touches my arm again.

"His body isn't protected as much, that could have shattered a lot of his bones. He can't just focus wholey on one thing, he has to keep his Ten up!" I sigh, frustrated. If he gets himself killed, I'm going to kill him. 

"Another direct hit! He's been knocked out of the ring!" the announcer shouts. It takes all of my mental will not to stand up and shout at Gon for being an idiot. The poor boy rolls against the wall with an audible, "umph."

He rolls back over and leans against his arm, crouched once more. The adrenaline is keeping him from feeling his injuries, but even with Ten fully activated, that hit should've stung.