First Words

Lucy's POV
We've finally gotten off the train and Natsu kisses the ground like that was his wife. I sweatdropped as I sighed. Happy seemed to be looking for someone and once he spotted Carla and Wendy he bolted over there as fast as he could.

I was looking for Luke and Nashi went Erza popped out of nowhere, "Lucy, I would like to keep Nashi until we reach Tenrou Island. Is that okay with you?" I nodded and gently ran my hands through Nashi's thin pink hair.

"She has quite the sweet-tooth." Jellal came up behind Erza. I felt a strong arm wrap around me,

"Why do you think I call her, Sugar Cube!" Natsu smiled and pulled me closer to him. I watched Jellal's face as he saw Natsu pull me closer. It was a type of longing like he wanted to do that to Erza. He noticed me looking and looked away bashful. I giggled a little and directed my attention towards finding Luke.

I left Natsu to talk with Erza and Jellal before we got on the boat. I was looking around for Levy, when I saw her, she and Gajeel didn't have Luke. Panic filled my body as I rushed over and grabbed Levy, "Where is Luke?!" She had a surprised look on her face and then laughed,

"He's with Mira and Elfman." I exhaled and looked,

"Ok. Thank you. I almost had a heart attack." I left Levy and Gajeel to go look for Luke. I saw Master, Mira, and Elfman all standing near the boat. I walked over and saw a sleeping Luke on Mira's shoulder. I could tell he was beginning to feel restless and uncomfortable, he really is a mama's boy. Before I could get there he started bursting into a random spur of tears. Within seconds he spotted me walking towards him and Mira, Luke nearly jumped out of her arms to get to me. Luckily Mira caught him before he hit the ground and then gave Luke to me. When I grabbed him I saw beads of sweat running down his flushed face. He must have had a bad dream... Natsu appeared beside me with worry written on his face,

"He probably just had a bad dream, Natsu. Do let your imagination get to you." I bounced up and down while combing back Luke's fluffy hair. He looked frantically around us, then grabbed a piece of my hair and played with it in his fingers. Was he trying to calm himself down?

Mira, Master, and Elfman looked worried too. "It's okay. You guys didn't do anything wrong. He sometimes gets really bad dreams, and freaks himself out." I explained. They nodded and about hoe sleepy he was when he got off the train with Levy and Gajeel. They must have played the whole time.

Eventually, we all made our way on the boat. Natsu asked Wendy if she could use Troia on him, so he can talk to me about something. I don't know what it is, but I might have an idea. Wendy gladly cast the spell to help his motion sickness. I was standing on the boat's deck, near the rim, and held Luke in my arms as he slept quietly. I was swaying side to side and humming the same lullaby I sang them when they were born. Natsu came up next to me and wrapped on arm around my waist. He kept his gaze out towards the horizon and spoke,

"Don't freak out because I don't want to get over emotional in from the guild and I also don't want to wake Luke up," I nodded and looked out towards the horizon as well, "Sometimes, I feel like I'm a horrible husband and father-"

"Please don't ever think that." I kept my voice calm even though sadness swelled inside me.

"Do you think Igneel would be proud?"

"What reason would he have not to? Natsu, I know you don't want me to worry about you, but suck it up and let me. I've seen you with the kids, and I know that they will never is that anyone else was their father."

"Thanks, Luce." He leaned towards me and lightly kissed my forehead.

"There's more, right?"

"I feel like Water's Edge relies too much on me. I've tried talking to the mayor about it- telling him I packed up my life and moved here to be with my family and sometimes I come home after midnight. I told him that our relationship was falling apart for a time because I was so loaded with work and whatnot. The only answer he gave me was, 'Everyone has families'. Then he dismissed me..." I could hear a twinge on anger in his voice.

"Mr.Dio isn't wrong though. Everyone does have families. Natsu I understand that your job is rigorous and taxing, and it's hard for you to balance me and the kids and work. Just tell me, that's all I ask. If you don't come home for an entire day, yes, I might look for you. Just tell me that you're loaded with work and I'll understand. You know better than anyone that I understand. Just please talk to me about that."

"But you'll worry."

"Natsu, you're not making this easy." I laughed a little in frustration. I heard Natsu sigh,

"Lucy," I turned my head and saw silent tears falling down his face. I stayed calm and wiped his tears away with my thumb, "I love you more than anything in the world and I don't want to let you down." His head dropped in defeat as he clutched the railing of the boat.

"Nothing you could do will ever let me down and I-"

'Oi! Flame Brain!" Gray called out. Natsu kept his back turned away and looked at me with pleading eyes. His hand dropped from my side,

"Gray, Natsu need to talk to me about something, I'll be sure to send him your way when we're done, okay?" Gray seemed taken back by my words and nodded before walking off. I sighed loudly and leaned against the railing. Natsu wrapped his arm around my waist and held me still,

"Be careful you could fall." His voice was still small and quiet.

"Oh, Natsu," I put my free hand on his face, "You will not- in a million years- let me down."

"Yes, I am!" Natsu screamed and accidentally woke Luke up. He cried as I called for Mira to take him.  At this point, Natsu was covering his mouth as he cried. Mira tried to ask me what was wrong but I asked her to leave, she hesitantly left with Luke in her arms. I wrapped my arms around Natsu and rubbed his head, shushing him. "Yes, I am, Lucy. You were in pain for an entire week, thinking I didn't love you anymore, and I didn't even realize. My wife broke down crying in the middle of the night because she felt like nothing. The woman I love more than anything was suffering and I DIDN'T KNOW" His voice boomed through the deck of the ship as he cried into my shoulder.

"Natsu, Natsu, listen to me, please. Would I still be with you if you'd let me down? We're going to have rough patches, but at the end of the day we love each other and that's all that matters. There are going to be times where we hate each other's guts, but two weeks ago- I didn't hate you or have the slightest inclination of doubt towards you. So, please calm down, " I brought his nose and mine, " I love you, Natsu Dragneel. You have and never will let me down. You are one of the strongest people I know, and I'll always be by your side." I smiled brightly and looked into his eyes. He smiled and gently touched my hand that still held his face.

"Thank you, Luce."  He spoke softly. I heard some cooed in amazement. I glanced over and saw Laxus holding Luke while Mira was taking pictures. I blushed and hid my face in Natsu's chest. I could feel a surprised breath from Natsu until starting laughing and wrapped his arms completely around me and sniffled his tears away.

I didn't notice Erza was standing near us until I heard a small voice, "...pa..pa" My head whipped up to Natsu as I watched him stare at Nashi in amazement. The tears that had just subsided swelled again. He gently let me go and staggered over to Erza and took Nashi from her arms,

"Nashi... can you say it again?" She stayed silent until another small voice was heard,

"Ma...ma" I turned around a saw Luke pointing at me, those same tears came falling from me as I reached out for him. Laxus brought Luke to me and clutched onto him. I looked over at Natsu in the silence that lingered in the air.

We both smiled at each other.

Hi.Hey.Hello. It's been a hot second since I updated. SEE YAA!!! NEXT TIME!!!