Lorraine the Midwife

Lucy's POV

It's been about 5 months since Natsu and I reached our new home in Water's Edge. I love this little village, mostly cause it's so tiny that it's easy to get to know everyone. Natsu has earned the reputation of The Dragon at the Gate. He manages Water's Edge's military force and I couldn't be prouder of him.

Right now, I am on my way to see the Midwife in Water's Edge, her name is Lorraine. She's just a couple of years older than me but knows so much more about childbirth than I do. Especially if we're having two kids. I'm going to see her today because I've been feeling strange every so often. If woke me up out of a dead sleep last night. Natsu was worried I was going into labor and that he would be at work while the birth was happening. I assured that I was fine and pregnancy's last nine months, not eight. I feel like is a better safe than sorry situation, so I thought I'd just pop my head in and get checked.

When I arrived, Lorraine asked me some questions and later concluded that I was going into labor.

"OH MY GOD!!! NATSU WAS RIGHT! HE'LL NEVER LET ME LIVE THIS DOWN!!" I shouted at the top of my lungs, making Lorraine shrink a little.

"Lucy, you need to calm down. I'll send a messenger to him right now, letting him know. Now, since your contractions are 12 minutes apart I'm going to keep you here until both babies are born. We never know how fast the contractions may speed up. While I'm writing to Mr. Dragneel, I need to just walk up and down the room, and try to remain as calm as possible." She cautioned.

Natsu's POV

I was looking over some papers at my desk, today was a slow day, when a letter from a very sweaty messenger boy came. It was from Lorraine,

"Lucy has gone into labor. She had requested that you are by her side. If you are coming now I advise you to please stay calm so Lucy can stay calm. And you also might be here for a while so put someone else in charge for a while. - Lorraine"

I did not hesitate to rush out of the door, grabbing my coat. "Finch! You're in charge until I get back!" I didn't give him time to respond. I trusted Finch, he was my number two. His posture and personality remind me of Gray, only a little though. I brush those thoughts from my head as I run to my wife and my children.

When I arrived, I remembered Lorraine telling me to stay calm, but when I heard my wife scream in pain I lost my shit. I rushed in next to her. Lucy was already covered in sweat from nerves, pain, and the additional stress of all the moving Lorraine was doing to get the birth room set up. "Hey, Luce. How are you doing?" She glared dagger at me as her words were laced with fear and stress,

"How do you think?" I could see she was trying to keep it together, but it all fell apart when her eyes stared into mine. She grabbed my hand and looked even more frightened than before, "Natsu, I'm so scared..." Her voice trembled. I pulled her into my embrace and rubbed her back as we sat on the oak wood floors. Her body was shaking, but I think was more fear than pain.

"Okay, Lucy. Your contractions are every 5 minutes now." Lucy nodded into my chest. Lorraine mouthed for me to move into the tub in the birthing room. I did so, but very slowly. At first, Lucy questioned me but I kept my mouth closed because I knew that if I spoke I would start rambling at that would only stress her out more; but in the end, she calmed down and let me carry her. I laid her in the tub and sat it, holding her hand, as Lorraine helped her take off her clothes. Luckily it was just Lorraine, Lucy, and I because if there was anyone else I would be so mad. Lorraine started filling the tub with water and then left to get the stations ready for the babies. As she shut the door Lucy got another contraction. She gritted her teeth and clenched her hand in mine,

"So, if we have two boys it's Nash and Luke. If it's two girls it's Nashi and Layla. If it's a boy and a girl then it's Luke and Nashi, right?" I said in an attempt to distract her. She held my hand tighter and started to scream while nodding her hand and me. I pulled her hand towards mine and kissed her forehead. I felt awful for her. Lucy was sweating and shaking and there was nothing I could do to make it stop.

"Natsu. If I. Don't make it. Please don't- AH!"

"Lucy, what are you talking about? If you don't live? That's bullshit and you know it. You are so strong, Lucy. I know you can do this." I smiled, kissing her forehead again. She smiled weakly and huffed in relief that her contraction was over. She laid back in the tub and looked at me,

"This is your fault, you know." Her laugh was ragged and breathless. I laughed with her,

"Yeah, I know."

After a couple of hours of contractions and preparation everything was set and ready to go. Lorraine told Lucy that she was 10 centimeters dilated and needed to part pushing. Lucy glanced at me with worry and I held our hands, that had never let go since I got here, and smiled. I knew my ears were going to hurt because of how bad they already did. I hear everything twice as loud being a dragon slayer and all.

Lucy pushed her hours and hours until we heard Lorraine call, "Ok Lucy I see the head. I need you to push really hard and once the head is out, I'll do the rest."

"OK!" She was breathless and she looked at me with tears in her eyes. I came off my knees and hugged her head whispering,

"You can do this." I sat down and Lucy gave it her all. Then... we heard the cry of a baby and tears streamed down Lucy's face as she shook from exhaustion.

"It's a girl," Lorraine called as she put the baby girl in a cradle, then moving back to Lucy.

"Lucy, look at me. You have to push very hard and for a very long time. Once the head comes out, I'll do the rest. I know you can do this." Lucy looked like she wanted to faint as she inhaled deeply and nodded her head at Lorraine.

"AHHH!! F***CK!" And then we heard another cry. Lucy fell limp and was breathing heavily. Lorraine called me over to the babies. I didn't know how to react or what to do. She instructed me to cut the umbilical cord on both babies and then she would wash and clean them off, then bring them to Lucy and me. Before Lorraine was fully out of the door she told Lucy that she was going to push out her afterbirth or suffer a nasty infection. She groaned loudly.

"Come on. You can do this. I'm right here." Tears were swelling up in my eyes as I took my place at her side. She looked at me with worry,

"It hurts, Natsu."

"You'll have to have another kid again." I teased and she lightly slapped my arm before interlacing her fingers with mine. She grunted as her afterbirth filled the water around her. Lucy looked at me through tired eyes,

"What do they look like?" 

"Beautiful." Lucy smiled at my words.

Lorraine came in and asked me if I mined getting afterbirth on me. I didn't care because I wanted my Luce out of her own filth. Lorraine told me to be very gentle and once Lucy was lying down she would let us see the twins. I moved as carefully but Lucy was still in pain. She was stilled over in sweat, after birth, and water, but I know she desperately wanted to hold her children. Lorraine placed the girl on her right and the boy on her left. I sat behind Lucy and wrapped my arm around her. I used my free hand to point to the twins as I spoke,

"Nashi and Luke." Lucy smiled up at me. I leaned in to kiss her salty lips.

Hi.Hey.Hello. I did a lot of research for this and my mom got worried. But it's correct so I don't care. I hope you guys enjoyed it! SEE YAA!!! NEXT TIME!!!