Persephone's Dilemma

3rd POV

"Ah, the Dragneels... What is it I can do for you this fine morning." The mayor of Water's Edge was cheerful and kindhearted. The couple didn't have much doubt that he'd be opposed to the agreement. Natsu had told Lucy he wanted to try and negotiate, but Lucy could step in if anything went wrong. Nashi and Luke sat on the ground behind them playing with the mayor's dog. They could care less about their nervous parents seeing as there was an adorable puppy kissing their cheeks. 

"Sir, almost a year ago we told you about how we'd come from Fairytail," the mayor nodded in acknowledgment, "...We've reopened our ties with Fairytail and would like to ask your permission to visit them once or twice a year. Since I do work for you directly and Luce is starting to help with a lot of planning and scheduling we thought it would be-" Lucy placed her hand on Natsu's to stop his rambling seeing as the mayor had already made up his mind. The mayor was just honestly waiting for Natsu to stop talking. 

"Well, seems we've got Persephone's dilemma..." The mayor laughed to himself.

Lucy cocked her head to the side, "Persephone? You mean, the queen of the underworld?"

"Yes, madam, Persephone spends 9 out of the 12 months on earth to help her mother, Demeter, and on the other 3 months she'd spend the year in the underworld, with her husband, Hades."

"Sir, I'm not sure I understand what greek mythology has to do with our request," Lucy asked. Natsu was still silently processing Hades not being able to see his wife for 9 months out of the year. He could barely go a day without looking at his wife. He was so used to having her around.

The mayor put both of his hands up in defense and laughed nervously. Lucy had always secretly scared him. "I was merely just making a connection, excuse an old man's antics. I was implying that I have no problem with you splitting your time, but Natsu," Lucy's husband focused his eyes on the mayor, "Remember you made a commitment to this town, to protect it, uphold that."

"Yes sir. Thank you." Natsu replied.

Nashi and Luke were becoming better at walking around by themselves and insisted they walk home without their parent's help. Luke got tired halfway and ended up taking a nap on Lucy's chest and Nashi tried to power through all the way but Natsu came up behind her with a sneak attack. Nashi was not fond of being scared and was not fond of her father at the moment. She kicked and screamed while Natsu laughed and held her upside down. Once Lucy started laughing and showed Nashi that her childish father was being silly she eased up and laughed too. 

Luke got fussy when Lucy went to place him in his crib so she settled on the couch in the living room with her son cuddled into her. Natsu came and sat down next to them with a bag of chips in hand. Nashi was playing with Happy in her room, "He's got good taste." Natsu joked, motioning towards his son. Lucy stifled a laugh and reached for the bag of chips. Reaching inside she grabbed one and popped it into her mouth. Leaning her head on her husband's shoulder she sighed a little, "What?"

"When we first got here I thought it was a mistake, but all of this allowed more amazing people to enter our lives."

He kissed the top of her head before lightly playing with Luke's thin golden hair. Lucy was right, she always was. They didn't talk for a while, but their finger intertwined themselves with each other. Natsu's mind wandered back to the story of Persephone. She wasn't able to see or talk to her husband for 9 months out of the year. It reminded Natsu of the one week or so where they barely saw each other or spoke to each other. He remembered Lucy crying outside at night. How sick and sad it made him to even be so far away from his wife even though they slept in the same bed. He was so determined to be everything Lucy and the twins needed that he lost sight of everything else it means to be in a family.

Lucy was able to pick up on the internal dispair her partner was causing himself. She racked her thumb over his knuckles softly, closing her eyes. "Mama..." They opened again. Nashi was sitting in the doorway that lead to the twins' rooms. Natsu still seemed a little disconnected, stuck in his thoughts. "Go to daddy, honey." Natsu was practically slack aside from the hand that clasped tightly around Lucy. Nashi loved cuddling with her father. He was always warm and gentle. 

She crawled up onto the couch and into her dad's lap. His free hand slowly wrapped around her, pulling her into his chest. Lucy watched. Watched his eyes water when they came back to reality. Nashi saw too. She reached up to her dad's cheeks, squeezing them. "Dada... no sad." She smiled brightly. Lucy squeezed his hand and kissed his shoulder. He nodded quickly as Nashi wiped away his tears and hugged his neck.

Natsu could never imagine being away from this for 9 months of the year.

A knock on the door had awakened the parents. Lucy got up first, but Natsu stopped her because the sun was starting to set. He opened the door with Nashi fast asleep, still clinging to his neck. Grandma June stood there with a large smile. "Oh, Grandma June..." Natsu said. Lucy squeezed her way through with Luke just barely waking up. "Hi. Please, please come in." Lucy went to usher her inside, but the old woman refused,

"Oh no, I just came to welcome you all back home. It was quite boring around here without you four. I must be going though. Goodnight and welcome home, kiddos." Grandma left as quickly as she came...

"Kiddos? We're parents..." Natsu murmured while shutting the door. Lucy giggled and patted Natsu's back. 

Hi.Hey.Hello. I've been pretty stressed out so I took a break and then writing the Nashi and Natsu scene was hard for me and ended up staring in nothingness for a hot minute because of it. Anyway, the Epilogue is next and then the story is over!!! Thank you all for the support and love! i think we even reached #1 on Nalu at one point! I can't thank you guys enough! SEE YAA!!! NEXT TIME!!!