91. Change (part 2)

I let out a breath and plopped onto the end of the bed, taking a breath before looking around.
It was dusty and creaky like the rest of the place, and all the wood was dark like my room at home.
I looked at the pictures hanging on the walls, getting closer.
Yikes.
My grandmother and Grandfather stood like statues, hands on the shoulders of Charlie and Veronica when they were young.
The implications in that painting were enough to make me sick, so I reached and took it down, putting it face down on the dresser.
The next was a photo, and I almost exploded when I saw the amount of people in the photo.
It wasn't a painting, it was a childhood photo of Maple and her 12 sisters. I recognized Theodora's mother, and found my mother smiling widely, dirt on her nose.
I looked back to the one I took down, and reluctantly put it back up.
Both of their stories are worth something, no matter how bad a story was.
I looked back to the bed with sad eyes.
No matter how bad..
---
"Stop.." I heard a mumble as I read with the light on.
"Want it off?" I asked as Draco turned over.
"No.." he mumbled.
It'd been a few hours since I laid him down, and this was his first time awake as Theo and Blaise were being loud and obnoxious downstairs.
"What is it?"
"You're not wearing them.." he slurred. "You need to wear your jewelry!" He exclaimed, stretching his upper half to the left so his head was on my leg.
I put a hand on his head. "And why's that?"
"You're not as shiny." He replied.
"You're gold with them.." he trailed off.
I opened my mouth to reply, amused.
"Without them you look like that muggle girl I thought you were.." I tried to process his words.
"What do you mean?" I asked.
He laughed to himself. "When you looked and acted ridiculous."
I was silent.
"I mean when you pretended to be all heroic." He sat up and I kept the same expression. "No, like when I thought you were one of them."
"I grew up that way, how am I different?" I asked harshly. "Does DNA affect who you are that much or is it the environment you're raised in?"
"Obviously DNA is important. Why do you think we're even here? In a beautiful cabin because of your blood."
The question kept flashing in my mind, and I was pushing it aside, keeping it locked up until I couldn't take it anymore.
"Would you still be with me if I wasn't a Gray-Dean?" I asked and his face contorted in confusion. "If it turned out that they got it wrong? That I wasn't the one?" I interrogated.
"Of course I'd still love you, what question is that??" He spat defensively.
"That's not what I asked." I said calmly. "I said would you be with me?"
...
"I don't get why this is a big deal to you.." he shook his head and stood up, walking towards the door.
"Because I can't tell if you want me or if you need me!"
"Does it have to be one of the other then??" He asked with a dangerous smile. "Then how's your feelings towards me?" He stepped towards me with mockery. "Do you need someone to be your shoulder to cry on? Need a boy who's always the closest option for comfort?" He was amused when I backed up as he slowly came forward. "Or now, is it that you want a little project to work on??"
"What..?"
He threw his head back in a laugh. "Were you done trying to solve Jeremy's relationship issues, and save Chris from her traumatic memories??"
He came closer again. "Are you looking for another place to butt your head into? Where you're not wanted! You know how much harder you make things for me!?" He was screaming in my face at this point.
His eyes were filled with tears, just below them, his eye bags were almost purple, skin everywhere else pale.
It was the first time that I ever looked at someone who was yelling at me and cried.
I started sobbing as his breathing was unsteady, right against my face.
The door swung open, and he was pulled back by the shoulder.
"What the fuck did you do to her?!" Blaise yelled.
"Please! Not like she hasn't been yelled at by her filthy muggle parents!" He spat out. "Cause that's all she'll really ever be, eh?" He laughed out as he stumbled.
Theodore came to my side and grabbed a blanket, tossing it over my shoulders.
"You're still drunk beyond all belief.." Blaise shook his head. "And you're being an asshole."
"Whatever! Elizabeth here thinks she's too good for me!"
"I know you're stressed, but-"
"No! No you don't! None of you are helping!" He kept eye contact, and pointed behind him. "Not you, and especially not that little fucking brat-"
Blaise backhanded him, and he fell to the floor.
"Learn some respect, and don't drag us down with you.." he said as he stood over him.
Draco hissed in pain, nose bleeding as he wobbled up, sniffling and putting the back of his hand to his nose. "Look what you've done.."
"Look what you've done!" Blaise yelled, pushing him back.
Draco's eyes scanned the room.
Over Blaise's bloody hands.
Over Theodore's calming whispers.
Over the violent shaking of my shoulders.
Over the mirror, his reflection showing someone who he didn't want to be.
The person he was.
The boy with no choice.