Chapter 3

"What's wrong?"asks Emma. Uncle Arthur hands over the leaf in his hand.

Emma instantly knew that it came from the Fair Folk because they're the only ones who send messages using things in nature.

It had writing on it. 

To Arthur Blackthorn, head of the Los Angeles Institute: We beseech you once more on a matter of great import. As you know, in past months, the marked and mutilated bodies of both our people and yours have been found all around the city of Los Angeles. This is your domain, and so once again we humble ourselves before you and ask for aid. After the events of the Dark War, the Fair Folk no longer fall under your protection and the protection of the Accords, but still we hope. It is rare for Faerie to admit  itself to be desperate, but we are now. If you will not give us succor, then at least perhaps you will bargain with us. Investigate the deaths of  our people and we will grant unto you the return of your nephew, the brother of the children now living in your house. The Wild Hunt does not give back what belongs to it, but we will give Mark Blackthorn back to you. We await your words.

Emma hands it over to Christina to read. Emma is in shock.

Julian asks,"What are you going to say?" Jules looks at Uncle Arthur.

" Well I guess we have to contact the Seelie Queen, to find out if she or anyone in her court sent the letter."

Unce Arthur says," Diana, can you go and gather the children for dinner?"

Emma turns to Jules," Jules are you okay?" Julian nodded slowly.

He turned and saw her concerned face.

He gives her a smile," Em, I'm fine. Don't worry about me. Just don't tell the others about Mark. I don't want them to get their hopes up."

Emma says," Okay."

They all ate dinner in silence.

After dinner, everyone went to their rooms.

Emma went to her room, took a shower, changed into her sleep clothes, and slipped into her bed.

She tried to sleep until she just gave up and hopped out of bed.

She crept quietly up the stairs to the training room.

Emma went to one of the windows and climbed onto the roof.

She saw Julian there, sitting on the roof with a sketch pad and pencil.

Emma slid beside him and looked over his shoulder.

He was drawing a beautiful picture of the night sky.

"Hey" said Emma.

Jules was startled for a moment.

Whenever Jules was painting, he sometimes forgets everything around him.

He looks at Emma," Trouble sleeping too?"

Emma nods.

Julian says," I forgot to tell you something.We are going to get a new shadowhunter living in the Institute tomorrow."

 Emma smiles," We get to have another friend."

Jules then says," The thing is Em, she is related to you. Her name is Taylor Carstairs."

Emma sucks in a breath.

" Emma, she is a distant cousin of yours. She's an orphan like us."

Emma smiles at Juian," I finally get to meet a family member."

" We should get some sleep" says Julian.

They both climb off the roof and walk to their bedrooms.

Emma sleeps peacefully that night.

The next morning she wakes up to the sound of the Institute's doorbell.

She quickly brushes her teeth and changes into jean shorts and a t-shirt.

When Emma enters the dining room, she sees all of the Institute's residents and a girl she didn't know sitting around the table.

The girl had the same brown eyes as Emma. 

She was tall, had short dark brown hair, and almond shaped eyes. She had long slender fingers.

She got up from the table and approached Emma. She was wearing a short white silk dress. She must be one of those girly girls Emma thought.

She held her hand out and smiled," Hi, I'm Taylor."