Chapter 15

Ty's POV:

Ty fidgeted with nervousness. Tonight was his date with Taylor. Taylor, the girl who made his heart beat thousands of miles each second. The girl who loved books as much as him. The girl who he had his first kiss with. His first girlfriend.

He didn't know how to tie a tie, so he had to ask Livvy to do it. Her nimble fingers threaded the tie into perfect knots. She was smiling the whole time. Taylor and Livvy became very good friends.Ty was happy that his two favorite girls in the world were getting along. He also knew that if his mom were here, she would have liked Taylor too.

Ty had the whole evening planned out. They were going to have a fancy dinner and then walk around the pier. Ty wasn't very creative, so he had asked Tina to give him tips on where to take Taylor on their date. Tina promised not to speak a word about to Taylor. All he told Taylor was to dress nice. He didn't care if she was wearing a potato sack, she was beautiful in everything.

Since Jules wasn't here, they were going to drive in his car. Ty waited patiently in the main foyer of the Institute. He kept making sure his hair was carefully arranged and was smoothing down non-existent wrinkles on his clothes. He heard heels clicks coming towards him. The sight of her left him breathless. 

Taylor dressed in a champagne colored dress. The dress was strapless It was flowing at the bottom and reached just above her knees. She never wore any make-up and she didn't have to. She was a natural beauty. Her heels were simple and elegant. Her dark hair was swept over one shoulder.

Ty held out a beautiful tiger lily to her. It was her favorite flower because of the vibrant colors.  She smiled and hugged him. Her hugs were gentle and welcoming. She said," so where are we going?" Ty smiled," we are going to have a very nice dinner and then take a nice stroll along the pier."

They hopped into Julian's car and drove to the restaurant. They food was delicious. They talked and laughed together. Ty had never laughed this much with anyone except with Livvy. Taylor told him stories about how she played with fire when she was young, but never got burned. She did set many stuffed animals on fire though. Ty told her about his obsession  with bees. They were very comfortable with each other.

They had chocolate cake for dessert. It was  their favorite sweet. Taylor had a sweet tooth. They drove to the pier. The soft waves were lapping onto the shore. The sand was soft and squishy. They sat on a bench and looked at the retreating sun. 

Dad and mom would have loved to see this. The way the colors blended together so easily. The waves reflected the suns rays everywhere. Mom had an eye for beauty. Ty missed them so much.

Taylor seemed to see the look on Ty's face,"what's wrong?" There were was true concern etched on her face. Ty said," I was just thinking about my parents. They would have loved this view." She smiled," I'm sure they would. I hear they were good people." 

After 5 years, Ty still wasn't used to talking about his parents in past tense. Taylor whispered," I know how you feel about your parents being gone. Mine are gone too, but they still love us." This earned a grin on Ty's face.

Other couples walked past them. Joggers ran past with their running shoes slapping against the pavement. The trees rustled around them, but all of the sounds were drowned out in their ears. They only talked each other about their lives. They described to each other what their parents were like. 

Taylor said she got her father's brains and mom's looks. Her father taught her to read Latin. Ty never knew what other shadowhunter children's lives were like. He grew up quite isolated compared to most children. His most frequent company were his siblings and Emma.

When the sun finally vanished, the moon and stars took over the sky. They walked back to the car, arm and arm. On the way back to the institute, Taylor rolled the window down. Her hair whipped around. It looked like a dark blanket floating behind her.

Ty drive back went by in a blur, soon the huge institute loomed over them. Ty opened Taylor's door for her. She giggled," when did you become so chivalrous?" Ty said," they say chivalry is dead, but I'm alive and right here." Taylor laughed. 

He walked her to her room. The hallways were dimly lit. She paused in  front of her door," can tell you something?" Ty nodded his head. She said," this was my first date ever. I was nervous out of my mind." Ty started laughing. 

Taylor smiled,"what's so funny?" He calmed himself down,"I was nervous too. You're my first ever girlfriend." After he said it Ty started stuttering," I...I mean...if you want to be my girlfriend." Taylor leaned up and kissed him lightly. When they pulled back she whispered," does that answer your question?" Ty just nodded.

Taylor said," good night."

 "Night," said Ty. She gave him a quick goodnight kiss and went into her room. Ty sat in front of her door for a minute, smiling like an idiot. He felt like running around Los Angeles whooping and hollering that he had a girlfriend.

He walked back to his room and as he was about to open his door, the door across the hall opened. Livvy peaked her head out with a big grin on her face," did you have fun on your date?" 

Ty smiled," it was awesome."