Chapter 34

It hurt. Julian's heart felt like it was being battered and crushed while he watched Emma and Mark on the beach. He planned such an amazing date for Emma. Mark had a ton of food that Emma loved. Mark took her to see an amazing view too.

No wonder Emma liked Mark instead of Jules.

But did it make Jules considered a bad person, because he was jealous of his brother? He should be happy for the two people that he loved, but he couldn't, no matter how hard he tried.

Julian and Christina were crouched in different places. Tina was hiding behind a log that was sitting near the top of the beach, where the waves never come even close to the sand. While she was behind a log, Julian was hiding behind a bunch of rocks. The rocks were jutting out from right next to the caves. If he made any sounds, they would be drowned out by the waves crashing on the caves right beside him.

Right now, Mark and Emma were walking along the wet sand. They had kicked off their shoes and their feet were sinking into the wet sand grains.

Emma looked like an angel. Her wisps of her blond hair floated in the wind. The white dress billowed and swayed around her. If Emma ever saw this from Julian's vantage point she would take a picture and say it's soooo Tumblr.

Mark tugged the beautiful girl into one of the caves next Jules. He had to duck further down so that the pair would not be able to see him. Mark was saying something about the shells in there. Julian was close enough to see the big smiles on both of their faces.

Why couldn't he have had a moment like that with Emma. Where she would stare at him with that kind of love.

He knew Emma loved him, but she loved him in a different way. More like a brother or best friend than a lover.

The two people disappeared into the sea cave. Julian had to keep a close eye on them, so he carefully slid from behind the rocks and approached the cave entrance.

The entrance was quite wide, so Jules pressed his back against the side of the entrance and peered in.

The cave was illuminated by a witchlight that one of them were carrying. The glow bounced off of the cave walls. He could see that Mark and Emma both had their backs turned to him.

They were focused on their task at hand, collecting shells.

Mark slipped away, deeper into the cave. When Emma called for him, he came back and led her deeper into the cave, where it was very dark.

Julian hesitantly went into the cave and trailed his hand along the cave wall. He couldn't risk taking out his withchlight, because Mark and Emma weren't suppose to know he was here.

A small cropping oh rocks his his body from their view. They were picking up sea glass. Jules looked down at his watch and squinted at the small clock. It was very hard for him to see through the dark.

Christina should have come over by now. They both had to watch over them.

With the help of all his training and a soundless rune, Jules slipped back out of the cave to go look for Tina. She couldn't have been very far away.

He started to walk up to her little hiding spot near the top of the beach. "Tina? Where are you?"

There was no answer.

"Tina, they're in the cave. We are both suppose to have our eyes on them," said Julian. Still, no reply.

"Tina?"

Julian finally neared the fallen log and looked behind.

Tina lie there still and unmoving. "By the Angel," breathed Julian. Like any trained shadowhunter, he first scanned their surroundings. He spotted no immediate threats. Julian still removed a knife from his belt to keep in one hand in case anything did try to come out and attack him.

He knelt down beside her and checked for a pulse. It was still there and beating strong. She was just knocked out, but who did it?

He felt around on her head until he felt a nasty bump forming on the back of her skull. When she woke up she would have a painful headache.

He fumbled around until he grasped his stele. "Tina, you're gonna be all right," he assured the unconscious girl.

He was very skilled at runes not just from being an artist, but from always being the one to draw them on Emma. Runes from your Parabatai were always stronger.

He especially good at Iratzes, because Emma and all of his other siblings were very, how the mundanes say, 'accident prone'. When mundanes say accident prone, Shadowhunters say every day living.

He quickly and skillfully drew an Iratze on Christina's arm. Once the rune had been finished, Tina's eyes fluttered open. She groaned,"damn, my head."

"Are you okay?" Julian asked concernedly. "Yeah, other than being knocked unconscious and waking up with a huge goose egg on top of my head, my day couldn't get any better. Oh but wait I just remembered that I also probably have a concussion too," Christina replied sarcastically.

Julian rolled his eyes,"are you always this crabby when you get hurt? Or is that your way of thanking people for reviving you?"

"Actually, there was one time where Jamie used one of his smelly training socks to wake me up cause..." She trailed off. Her facial expression fell. "What?"asked Jules.

"It's nothing. I'm sorry for being crabby. You helped me so thank you," she said trying to change the topic.

Julian let it slide at the moment, because there was a more pressing matter at hand.

Who was Jamie?

He could always ask her what that was about after they were done being professional stalkers. He looked at her,"so who knocked you out?"

Christina sat for a minute trying to comb through her momentary memory loss from a few minutes ago. "Umm I can't remember."

"Think harder Christina, whoever knocked you out is a threat," he said. She concentrated, when she finally opened her eyes her face was a mask of horror,"it was Gwyn."

Julian shoved his knife back in his belt and reached for his bow. He took an arrow out of the quiver on his back and knocked it.

He didn't wait for Tina as he headed towards the cave that held Emma and Mark, who were most definitely in danger. 

There was no way he would let either of them be taken away from him again.