Chapter 36

She sunk deep beneath the waves. The fire still burned within her. It churned and charred inside her very being.

Emma tried to hold her breath, but there was none to hold on to. She didn't have time to take on a breath after her screaming before she was thrown in. She thrashed, but it didn't help one bit.

She felt absolutely helpless as she thought about the last moments of her life. Her vision started tunnelling. The blackness edging in.

When her mouth opened up, there was no air. No air swept into her lungs. No air for her to live off of. It was quick when she went from panic to calm. Her body and mind had accepted the fact the the end was here.

Emma drifted down and in no time, was unconscious.

Was this what heaven was like? Emma stood on the soft sand of a beach. She curled her toes in the unimaginably soft sand.

She looked up and saw her parents standing in front of her, up to their ankles in water. Their faces were blank. They stared at her and gave no sign that they acknowledged her. She ran to them, but it seemed like she could not get any closer to them. The more she moved towards them, the farther back they were pushed. Some force was distancing her from them.

"MOM! DAD!" She yelled out to them, but they kept going back into the waves. Soon they were out of sight. It felt like they were leaving her on Earth, while they went to heaven. It was like they abandoned her on a cruel and unforgiving Earth until, at a later time in life, she could join them.

Emma woke up on an infirmary bed. She seemed to need a lot of medical care in her life. Her dress, which was probably still wet, was no where to be found and in its place was a simple nightgown. Emma wondered who changed her, but to her it didn't really matter.

Across from her, Mark slept deeply with his whole body facing the bed and had his back up. His face was tilted to the side and drool was oozing out the side of his mouth and onto the fluffy white pillow. She could see that there had been fresh, clean bandages were put on top of all of the wounds in his back. 

In the chair right next to her, Julian snored loudly. It was loud. Very loud. She moved her arm slowly and tugged on one of Julian's curls. It was so soft between her fingertips,"Jules," she whispered. Emma didn't want to wake Mark. "Julian," she tried again. He still laid fast asleep.

Emma dragged her thumb underneath Julian's eye. He still had dark circles from all of his sleepless nights. The backs of her fingers brushed against his chin. She could feel the scruff that was left from him not shaving that day.

He was so handsome while asleep. His face didn't look all stressed. He looked relaxed. At peace. This was the face he would have had all the time if his parents weren't dead.If his older brother and sister weren't taken away from him. Emma missed carefree Jules. She missed it when Jules and her would play pranks and leave responsibilities to the adults. They both had to grow up too fast, so that the younger ones didn't have to. All Jules ever thought about these days was if he could make all of his little siblings happy and protect them from the evilness of the world. Arthur almost never helped him, so Julian had 4 kids to raise.

While she was deep in thought, she dropped her hand from his face. It brushed against his shoulder and Julian woke up,"Em?Are you okay? Are you hungry?" He gripped her calloused hand in his. Emma smiled,"I'm okay Jules. I could eat something." She started to get up from her bed, but Julian pushed her back down until she was fully laying down again,"you're not getting up. You almost just drowned and burned at the same time. Thankfully, we got you to the Silent Brothers in time. I'll get you something to eat." Before she could protest, he sprinted out of the room in pursuit of a late night snack. 

Emma huffed as she turned her head to stare at the ceiling. Not  minutes later, Jules came into the room carrying a tray that held some yogurt, cheese, crackers, a carrot muffin, and some water. He set it on the table beside Emma. She sat up before Julian could try to help her and snatched some cheese and crackers off of the plate and stuffed it in her mouth. Gouda. Jules always knew she liked gouda cheese. 

"Hungry much?" Jules asked with an amused look on his face. Emma was too concentrated on chewing to make up a retort. She looked at him. She could tell instantly that he hadn't eaten for hours. Whenever anyone close to him got hurt, he'd be too worried about them to think about eating. Emma grabbed the muffin off of the tray and shoved it at him,"eat." "I'm not that hung..." he tried to say, but was cut off. "Julian you need to eat." Emma said firmly. 

She set down her crackers and cheese on the plate,"I'm not eating until you eat." He looked down at the muffin in her hand and to her,"Em you need to eat." "I just told you the only way for you to get me to eat. Eat it." She held it closer to his face.

Sighing, he lifted his hand and accepted the muffin. He took a bite out of it and started chewing. Emma grinned,"victory. Face it Jules, you can't compete with me when it comes to persuasion."While Emma sat there and watched, he tilted his head towards the tray and said with a partially full mouth,"we made a deal. I eat, you eat." 

Emma happily grabbed the cheese back off the plate and started to devour it. Jules watched her as she ate like a rabid animal that hadn't seen food in weeks. 

He just smiled and shook his head. They started talking. It was already the early hours of the morning, but neither of them were intending on sleeping any time soon. 

They talked to each other until the early morning sun rose over the horizon. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello everyone! 

I am so sorry that it took me this long to update. It usually doesn't take that long. I've been a bit busy, so I didn't have much time to update. 

Thank you so much for being so patient and being amazing readers. And we hit 10k reads!!! Never in a million years would I have ever thought that people would like my takes on my favorite stories. You guys are awesome. 

 I'm off to China in a few hours(it's 4:15 in the morning where I live right now) and won't be back for a month. I'm not sure if I'll be able to access Wattpad there or not, but I will try my best.

Jess's tips:

-don't run into a tree

-don't run into a car

-try not to anger your parents

-make sure your older brother doesn't know your phone password

-keep living and reading books

See you guys later,  ~Jess