Chapter 10

Emma was awakened by streams of sunlight pouring through her window. She yawned and went to brush her teeth.

Emma looked at the clock, 6:00am. She never got up that early. She decided to get a bit of training in. Emma went through 2 training dummies. She hacked them apart for an hour.

Drenched in sweat she took a shower and slipped on some shorts and a t-shirt. Emma went downstairs to get some breakfast.

In the kitchen, Christina and Mark were having a cook-off.

"Emma! I'm so glad you're here. We need a judge," Tina said. Mark smirked," I'm going to win." Tina turned to him," you wish. I make the best breakfast ever."

Emma giggled at their competitiveness," so what food are you cooking?" "Omelettes," they reply in unison.

"I wonder if you guys know what my favorite things in an omelette are," she said. Emma went to the fridge and got some orange juice.

After a minute, there were two omelettes before her. Tina put peppers, cheese, green onions, and tiny slices of tomatoe in her omelette. Mark put all of the same things, but added something that Emma always liked since she was little. Mushrooms.

Emma bit out of both of them and they stood before her nervously. " The winner of this competition is...Mark!" Mark jumped up and down in victory. Tina just scowled at Emma who shrugged her shoulders.

Emma leaped upstairs to Julian's room. She barged in and saw him drooling on his pillow. She snuck into her room to get something.

Emma crept up next to Julian's ear.

She silently counted to herself. 3...2..1.

The airhorn blasted into Julian's ear."AAAHHHH," Jules yelled. He jumped up and tackled Emma to the ground.

She was laughing her head off. Jules took the airhorn and threw it out the window. Emma was still giggling," looks like sleeping beauty isn't very happy."

Jules gave her a death stare. It made Emma laugh even more. " Come on. I want to show you your surprise and you need to eat breakfast before your trip to England," said Emma.

She skipped out of his room to wake up everyone else.

Livvy covered Tavvy's eyes and Emma covered Julian's eyes. They walked into the dining room and they removed their hands. Mark stood before them.

Tavvy was young when Mark left, but he still remembered him. He ran up to Mark. He caught Tavvy and lifted him up," Tavvy, you're so big." Tavvy hugged him," I missed you Mark. Don't leave us ever again."

" I would never think of it."

Mark set Tavvy down and looked at Jules. " Aren't you happy to see me brother?" Mark asked. Jules rushed up and hugged him." More than you could ever believe."

Everyone started eating breakfast. Uncle Arthur hugged Mark and Diana shook Mark's hand.

While they ate, Emma went to the infirmiry to see Dru. Emma sat and watched her chest slowly rise and fall.

Emma was looking at Dru's fingers until she noticed a twitch. Emma saw that Dru's heart was beating faster. She couldn't contain the smile that was appearing on her face. Dru didn't wake up, but it showed that she was improving.

Emma walked back to the rest of the family. Mark and Jules were joking around like old times. Mark surveyed the room. He looked up at Emma," where's Dru?" Silence stretched across the room. Emma didn't tell them about what she just saw.

Jules said," Dru is in the infirmiry." Concern showed on Mark's face," what happened to her?"

"She got attacked by some demons." Mark pushed back his chair and went to see Dru. Emma followed close behind.

Mark sat in the chair beside Dru and stroked her hair.

Emma said to Mark," she's improving. Before I came into the dining room, I was watching her. I saw her hand twitch." Mark looked up," really?"

"Yeah."

He let out a sigh of relief. "Now come on. Jules is leaving soon and we have to help him and Uncle Arthur with their bags." Mark left to help Uncle Arthur, while Emma went to help Jules.

Emma opened his door to find Jules seated on his bed staring out the window. Emma walks and sits next to him," Jules, we need to start taking your bags down. Malcolm Fade is going to be here to make a portal soon."

Jules said," I don't know if I can go. What if something happens to Dru while I'm gone?"

Emma put a reassuring hand on his back," Mark and I are here. You don't have to worry. Plus, Dru is getting better. I saw her hand twitch today."

Jules looks at her with a glimmer of hope in his eyes," really?"

Emma smiled," really. Now we have to get these bags downstairs before Uncle Arthur has a tantrum." He laughs and got up. They took 10 minutes to lug all of Julian's bags downstairs.

Everyone hugged and said goodbye. Julian got to Emma last and he pulled her around the corner of the Institute.

" Emma, I'll really miss you," said Jules. Emma hugged him and whispered into his ear," I'll miss you too."

She pulled back and looks into his greenish-blue eyes. She leaned in and pressed her lips onto his.

They stayed there until she pulled away," they're probably waiting for you." Jules nodded and they walked around the corner to the rest of the group.

Malcolm Fade was there with a swirling portal beside him. Jules stood beside Uncle Arthur, in front of the portal.

Uncle Arthur went through first and Jules turned back to look at Emma before the swirling portal whisked him away.

Miles and miles away from her.