Chapter 14

The demon fell from her blade being buried in its chest. Emma still had the rush of adrenaline pumping in her veins. She turned to see how Jules was doing with dispatching his own demon.

The scene she didn't expect was of Jules laying on the ground, blood flowing from his chest. "Julian!" screamed Emma. She fell to her knees beside him. He looked to her with black eyes instead of the beautiful blue-green they always were.

He said in a raspy voice," this is your fault. Parabatai are suppose to protect one another." Emma had tears streaking down her face. Julian's chest took one more rattling breath until it stilled.

Emma jolted awake. She looked around her to find herself in Christina's room. Julian was nowhere in sight. He's in England. The sun was just spilling it's rays over the horizon.

Emma knew she couldn't go to sleep so she decided to go to the library. She found Julian's favorite book, A Tale of Two Cities. Jules had made her read it over and over again. Emma had memorized a few passages from the book.

She sat by the fireplace reading for who knows how long.

Mark walked in. " You do know that you have to eat right?" Emma shushed him," this is a really good part." Mark smiled," you're starting to sound like Ty, Em."

He walked over and grabbed the book out of her hands. "Hey!" Emma tried to snatch it back, but Mark held out behind him. " No reading unless you eat lunch." Emma crossed her arms," yes, mother."

Mark shook his head," I'm not your mother.First, most mothers try to get their kids to read. Second, I'm way too young to be your parent. Third, I am obviously a male."

Emma ran down to the dining room and stuffed her mouth with salad and grabbed the book from Mark before running back to her room to read more. The book seemed even more interesting than the last time she read it. Julian had really good taste in books.

Emma was so engrossed with her book that she almost didn't notice her cell phone ringing. She put a bookmark in and reached for her phone. "Hello?" she said into her phone. " Hey Em," Julian's voice said through the phone.

Emma didn't know how much she missed hearing his voice. " Jules! How's England?" Jules chuckled," it's really cool. I made some friends already." Emma smiled," well, I've been reading A Tale of Two Cities all day. Mark had to take it away from me so I would go eat lunch." "Emma, please don't turn into Ty while I'm gone," said Julian. " Funny, Mark said the same thing. So what is the London Institute like?"

"Well the Institute is not that much different than the Los Angeles one. The people who live here are so nice," said Jules. Emma felt like there was some kind of hidden meaning behind when he said "nice". She didn't press him about that concern though.

They talked for hours until Tina came and told her it was dinner time. Emma felt better when she talked to Julian, but she never mentioned her nightmare from last night. She didn't want to get him worried.

Dinner was quiet, except for Tina and Mark. You can't shut them up. Ty was off on his date with Taylor. Emma ate her dinner and went to check on Dru. Emma took her book with her and sat by Dru.

She didn't know what time it was when she fell asleep reading the book, but when she woke up it was dark outside. Emma looked over at the sleeping girl in the bed. Her eyes were fluttering. Emma inched closer to have a better look at Dru.

Her eyes opened and blue-green orbs stared back at her. "Emma?" Dru whispered in a weak voice, "where is everyone?" Emma patted her hand,"asleep. You should get a little more rest while I call the Silent Brothers." 

Dru whispered," my throat is dry." Emma picked up a water pitcher at the other side of the room and poured her a glass of water. She had to help Dru prop her head up high enough to drink the water. 

Emma contacted the Silent Brother's and went to wake up Diana. They decided to tell everyone in the morning.

Emma dragged herself up to her room. Her bed looked like heaven, because she was tired beyond reason. Her pillow was a soft cloud. Emma wondered what Jules was thinking about right now. Was he thinking about her?