Chapter 22

Julian's P.O.V.

Julian had once again woken up to pain. The pain subsided after a few minutes, but there was still a dull ache above his parabatai rune. 

He took the book from the library out from underneath his pillow. He flipped to where he last left the bookmark.

Demonic runes are very powerful. They are gray against skin. If drawn upon ones without angelic of demonic blood, the power will incinerate. They give demons power and protection the same way angelic runes do for Shadowhunters. When demonic runes are set upon a creature with angelic blood, they will start taking away any power of the runes on their body. Any bonds they have will be weakened until there is none.

Julian put a hand right above his parabatai rune. Was that what was happening? Were they putting these runes on Emma? Was their bond weakening? He kept reading.

Only the strongest ones of angelic blood may handle the runes. The longer they last, the stronger they are. If not strong enough, the person will die. Their skin sill turn gray and disintegrate if touched. If they are strong enough, the demonic power will seep into them. They will become demonic creatures that should never belong. Never exist.

Jules slammed the book closed. No. This could not be happening. Not to Emma.

Julian looked at his nightstand. His clock showed 6:00 in the morning. He knew there was only one person in the Institute that woke up this early. Not bothering to change out of his pajamas, Julian padded barefoot down the halls. He stopped at one bedroom door and knocked. Nobody answered.

Julian let himself into the bedroom. No one was in there. Julian searched the entire Institute even though he was sure that they weren't in the building. He went back into the bedroom and waited in an armchair, staring at the unlocked window.

It took half an hour until Mark climbed into the bedroom. The bedroom window was facing away from the first rays of sun. There wasn't much light in the room. It wasn't until Mark had fully shut his window that Jules clicked the bedside lamp on.

"Where were you?" Julian asked. Mark stopped mid-step. He slowly turned to look at his brother lounging in a chair staring at him. 

"Why are you up so early?" Mark asked back. Julian stood,"don't try and change the subject. Where were you?" 

"I was just taking a walk. You know, I've been gone for a long time and I wanted see how much the city has changed," said Mark. 

Julian might have believed him. If he hadn't seen the dirt flecks in the tiny creases of his brother's shoes. It looked as if he quickly tried to wash mud off of the bottom of his shoes.

Julian leaned back and said," what places in the city did you visit?" Mark smiled. He seemed to think he got past the hard part of the interrogation. "I went to the Walk of Fame. Tried counting all of them, but got bored and came back," Mark shrugged. Jules made his face look like he accepted this answer.

Mark said," what were you doing in my room?" Julian simply said," woke up, couldn't sleep, felt bored, and came here. You are usually the only person up this early."

Mark nodded," do you want me to make you want of my amazing omelettes?" "Sure," said Julian.

The boys made their way down to the kitchen. As they passes through the dining room.They found a half asleep Uncle Arthur having his morning cup of coffee.

 "Good morning boys," said Arthur. Jules and Mark said quick greetings to their uncle and entered the kitchen.

 Julian got the pan out and turned the stove on, while Mark got the ingredients out of the fridge. Mark already knew everything Julian liked on an omelette.

 They both stayed quiet while Mark cooked the omelettes. They listened to the soft sizzling. They also ate quietly. Once they were finished, Julian took their plates and put them in the dishwasher.

Tina waltzed in," Jules, I know we're still searching for the girls, but you still need to train. If we have to fight to get them out, then we can't have you being rusty and sloppy."

 Mark kept his head down the whole time. 

Jules nodded," okay. Be ready for me to kick your ass." Christina lifted an eyebrow," I will make you eat those words."

She grabbed a blueberry muffin before heading towards the door.

Julian looked at Mark," do you want to come train with us?" Mark said," I think I'll pass." Julian shrugged and walked back to his room to change into his training clothes. He walked into the training room.

He sparred with Tina for hours. She was quite good, but Julian was better. He disarmed her more times than he could count. In the end, they were basically drowning in their own sweat. Tavvy walked in and wrinkled his nose,"you guys smell really bad." 

Tina laughed," it's not surprising that I smell bad after Jules kicking my ass." Tavvy's face had a questioning look on it," what's an ass?"

Julian's eyebrows went up in alarm, while Tina started rolling on the ground laughing. Tavvy pouted and stomped his feet at her reaction," stop laughing and tell me!" Jules and Tina looked at each other. Tina spoke," umm. It's a donkey." Tavvy said," but you don't have a donkey."

Tina said," well, I drew a picture of a donkey and I dropped it on the ground. Before I could pick it up, Jules came by like the big meanie he is and kicked it. He said it was an accident, but I think it was on purpose. So I made him spar with me so I could get vengeance for my poor donkey." She said it with such passion that Tavvy believed her entirely.

 He turned to his big brother and said,"say sorry to Tina for kicking her donkey."

Tina walked to stand behind Tavvy, so he couldn't see her smiling like a maniac. Jules huffed and said," Tina, I'm sorry for kicking your donkey." Tavvy turned his head to see Tina's reaction. She fake a straight face and nodded.

Tavvy went and hugged her," if he does anything else mean to you, tell me and I will deal with it." With that, he strutted out the door. Once the door closed, they burst out laughing. Once Julian  mustered a breath he said," when did my little brother become your protector?" 

Tina did a sassy hair flip," we are practically besties. Didn't you know that? I guess you chose not to pay attention that your little brother loves me more than he loves you." 

Julian smiled," whatever. I think we've done enough training. We should hit the showers. At least you should. You are killing my nose." Tina flicked him inn the nose and started walking out of the room. Julian followed. Tina said over her back," you want to hang out later?" 

"Sure, but there's something I have to do first," answered Jules. He went into his bedroom. He cleaned himself off and put on some fresh clothes. He tore a piece of paper from a sketchbook on his desk and wrote a little note on it. He sneaked into Mark's room and placed it on his nightstand.

I know you lied. I expect a real answer soon. ~J