Chapter 31

Emma woke up with tears dried around her eyes. Her pillow was all crumpled from her crying into it all night. She knew her hair was probably like a rats nest.
Jules. Jules. Jules.
His name was changed over and over in her head. Who was that girl he was with?
Emma knew that she should get out of bed and face him. Her father always said that if she is tempered like a blade, she will become stronger. She has been tempered.
Emma threw her sheets off and went to the shower. The steam would erase all traces of her tears and heartbreak.
The change of clothes she wore consisted of a black v-neck t-shirt, ripped denim shorts, and some black converse. She also threw on a black leather jacket that had a lot of zippers.
Emma took one look in the mirror and smiled.
Don't let them see the internal emotions.
Be confident.
Be strong.
Emma walked downstairs and entered the dining room. Everyone say around the table. Excluding the girls in the infirmary. She saw the new girl sitting in the seat next to Jules. Her seat.
Emma shrugged it off and sat across from them.
Julian didn't bother to meet her gaze. He didn't even greet her and tell her he was happy she was alive. He just sat there.
The girl beside him, however, was very excited to meet her,"hi, I'm Ciara. You must be Emma."
British accent. Emma nodded her head,"nice to meet you." "I have waited so long to meet you. Jules has told me so much about you," smiled Ciara.
Ciara covered his hand with her own. On the inside, Emma was wishing it was her who could Julian's hand.
Emma knew that she shouldn't be mad at Ciara, because she had no knowledge of how Emma felt about Jules.
Emma excused herself to go and help Diana get breakfast ready. They all had waffles with stacked toppings. Emma didn't have much of an appetite, so she just had one waffle to make sure no one noticed. Julian noticed. "Em, you should eat more. You were starving not long ago." Emma pushed back a retort of saying that he finally noticed. Emma just said quietly,"I'm just not that hungry." Emma could tell that Jules was surprised when she and Ciara started talking a lot. "So, what's your favourite thing about LA so far?" Ciara smiled," that's easy, I get to spend time with Jules." Emma forced a smile on her face,"so you guys are officially dating?" Ciara said,"of course. We started dating in England." Emma calmed herself. It's not Ciara's fault. She doesn't know her feelings for Jules. Emma actually took a liking to Ciara, even though she was dating the boy she liked. They would make great friends. Emma even promised to take her shopping the next day. It would just be the two of them, because Jules wasn't the best women's fashion expert.  They both helped clean up the dishes after the meal was done. Emma thought it was time to visit the girls in the infirmary. She led Ciara down to the infirmary. They swung the doors open and went to see the two girls laying on the beds. Emma sat down in a chair the was positioned next to Taylor. She picked up a lock of Taylor's dark hair and she twirled it in her fingers. "Are you done playing with my hair?" a weak voice groaned. Emma jumped up. Ciara got up from her own seat and came over to see what had disturbed her. "Taylor." "Hey. I'm not dead," she tried to kid. "How are you feeling?" Emma asked. "Depends, should I go with being crushed by a house or swimming lava?" said Taylor. "Where's Livvy?" Emma turned,"she's right over here." Taylor tried to turn her head, but winced. She saw Ciara,"I do not believe I've met you. I'm Taylor."  "Ciara," she replied. Taylor smiled,"let me guess, London Institute?" "Yup. I'm glad you said that. So many people in America might have thought that I was from Australia." They both smiled. "Emma?" "Yeah, Tay?" "Can you get Ty? I really want to see him," asked Taylor. "Of course. He's been so worried about you," acknowledged Emma. She and Ciara left. "I need to unpack some of my stuff. I'll meet you in the front entrance in at 14:00, is that okay?" Ciara asked. Emma's eyebrows drew together. Ciara blushed," oh sorry, I mean 2:00pm." "That's fine," said Emma. She set off to go find Ty. She finally found him in he back corner of the library. His nose was buried deep in a book, as always. "Tyyyyyyyyy?" Emma said, approaching him. "Yes?" He huffed. He never liked being interrupted while reading a book. "I just came to tell you that Taylor woke up. And she's asking about you," said Emma. Ty jumped up. His book fell to the ground. He dashed out of the room. "YOU'RE WELCOME!" Emma yelled after him. Of course, he ignored her yell. She stalked out of the library and went back up to her own room. When she opened her door, she found Mark standing in the middle of her room. "Uh, hey Mark." "Hey, I  was wondering if I could ask you a question." Mark walked over to stand in front of her. "Sure, you can ask me anything," said Emma. "I was wondering if you wanted to go out on a date with me," said the eldest Blackthorn boy. Emma thought for a second,"yes." A big smile erupted on Mark's face and he hugged her. "I'll see you later. Don't make any other plans for Friday night." "See ya," said Emma. Mark opened the door and left. She shrugged off her leather jacket and threw it on a hook that was connected to her door. The bed bounced as Emma threw herself on top of the duvet. Mark was tall. He's fit like all shadowhunters. He's kind. Emma's known him her entire life. He's smart. His blonde hair was so soft. His eyes were so intriguing. But there was something that she knew would not allow her to love him in that way. He wasn't Julian.