down the rabbit hole

RIVER relaxed on the couch as he listened to Caroline's conversation.

"Tell me you're not serious" Caroline said.

"I wish I weren't" Elena replied "When we got back from looking for Jeremy, Shane and Bonnie were gone too, Shane needs Bonnie to cast a spell on Jeremy's tattoo in order to find the cure, and he managed to sneak them both out from under our noses"

"Well, where's Damon in all this?" Caroline wondered.

"We had an argument" Elena began "I thought he was just taking a walk, but then when we went to the beach, we saw signs of a struggle"

"Meaning what?" Caroline asked.

"Meaning somebody probably jumped him and then grabbed him!" Elena sighed.

"Do you think Shane took him?" Caroline asked.

"No, I mean, he's not strong enough to take Damon on, even with the element of surprise" Elena argued "He must have someone, or at least a few someones helping him"

"I'm so sorry" Caroline spoke "I wish I was there to help"

"Well, maybe there's something you can do from home" Elena suggested.

"Anything" Caroline agreed "Tell me"

"So Shane's looking for the cure, we think we can find him" Elena began "We have pictures of Jeremy's tattoo, but we just can't translate the map"

"Unless you get the Hunter's Sword from Klaus" Caroline finished.

"Exactly" Elena agreed.

"I'll find it, don't worry" Caroline spoke "Just e-mail me photos of Jeremy's tattoo, I'll find the sword, and I'll call you back"

"Thank you, Caroline" Elena thanked.

"Bye" Caroline hung up as she moved into view of Klaus and River.

"Need our help with anything, love?" Klaus wondered.

"Nope" Caroline strode from the house.

River exchanged a knowing smirk with his lover.

-

River turned as Caroline and Tyler moved into the house, glancing at Klaus sat on the coffee table.

"Well, if it isn't little orphan Lockwood" River greeted.

"Come to show how laughably impotent you are against me?" Klaus smirked.

"I'm just trying to help my friends find the cure" Tyler said.

Caroline sat on the couch, Tyler revealing the sword from the blanket he was carrying.

"Found this in your attic" He said.

"And you think finding the sword brings you closer to the cure?" Klaus asked.

"You tell me" Tyler said "I was playing around with the handle on the ride over, and I found this"