the sun also rises

RIVER stood by Stefan's side, approaching the old witch house with Elijah and Alaric in tow as well.

"The sacrifice is completed in stages as the full moon sets" Elijah explained "First the werewolf is killed, then the vampire, finally the doppelgänger"

"Once Elena dies the curse will be broken, Klaus will become a hybrid" Elijah finished.

"So when do we attack?" Alaric asked.

"Elena's death will activate his dormant werewolf side" Elijah spoke "He'll be vulnerable during the transformation, that's when Bonnie comes in"

"And you're sure Bonnie will survive this?" River asked.

"If she can deliver him to the brink of death, I'll finish the job myself" Elijah confirmed.

"Damon" Stefan stepped away from the group, speaking into his phone "Cut to the chase, is the sacrifice happening or not? We're sticking with the original plan, we're meeting Bonnie right now...what"

"What is it?" Alaric asked as Stefan looked back at them "What's wrong?"

"Oh my god" Stefan spoke.

-

River stood by Bonnie's side, a feeling of anger rising through him.

"Why did he take Jenna?" Bonnie asked.

"A punishment for meddling" Elijah answered.

"Klaus was going to use Tyler and Caroline but Damon and I rescued them" River stated "This is my fault"

"No, River this is not your fault" Stefan claimed.

"We need to go, now, before Jenna's been sacrificed" Bonnie ordered "I can kill Klaus myself"

"Bonnie, if you use that much power you'll be dead" Stefan argued "We've already been through this, it's not an option"

"Neither is letting Jenna die" Bonnie retorted.

"Stefan would agree with you" Elijah added.

"We're going to offer another vampire" Stefan spoke "One that he'll want more...me"

"Stefan...you can't" River said.

"We don't have a choice" Stefan admitted.

-

River knelt by the grass, his hands buried in the plant as he grounded himself. He felt his energy merge with the earth and sensed Elena's location.

"They're at Steven's Quarry" River stood up again.

"I'll head over there first and you'll follow with Bonnie when it's time" Stefan said.

"Just as the moon hits its final phase, she's to stay hidden until then" Elijah added "He cannot know that she's alive"

 Stefan moved to leave.

"You're very honourable" Elijah stated.

"Are you?" Stefan turned to face Elijah "Because this whole plan is contingent upon your honour, Elijah"