before sunset

RIVER drank down the incredible blood, feeling it run down his throat as he pressed his partner to the wall. Klaus grunted as River pulled back, hearing the footsteps moving towards the room.

"Good" Rebekah spoke "You're both here"

River rolled his eyes, leaning forward to lick the blood from Klaus' healed neck as the hybrid smirked at his sister, River stepping away, wiping his mouth with his sleeve as his vampiric characteristics faded form his face.

"Beks" River greeted with a smirk.

"Alaric Saltzman just tried to kill me" Rebekah stated worriedly.

River's face fell, a wary expression falling over his features.

"Alaric Saltzman is supposed to be dead" Klaus stated.

"Well, he's not and he's a vampire thanks to mother's spell with a white oak stake that can't kill him!" Rebekah retorted "He's strong, Nic, too strong"

"Where is he now?" River questioned.

"He's stuck at the school without a daylight ring, but as soon as night falls he'll come after us" Rebekah answered "We need to leave now"

"Fine" Klaus sighed "I'll collect Elena, we'll be on our way"

"Forget Elena!" Rebekah exclaimed "You don't need any more stupid hybrids!"

"What I need is protection from Esther's continued assaults against us" Klaus argued.

"Rebekah's right" River spoke, moving towards the blonde's side "We'll protect each other"

"Just like we always have" Rebekah nodded, taking River's hand in hers "Always and forever, Nic"

"I'm not leaving without her" Klaus stated.

"I'm leaving now" Rebekah informed "You can either walk out that door with me or you are on your own"

Klaus stayed silent, a hurt expression washing over Rebekah's face.

"Fine, trust your hybrids over your family" Rebekah relented "Let your spite be the death of you, see if I care"

Rebekah stormed from the room, pushing past Tyler on her way.

"Nik you can't be serious!" River furrowed his brows.

"What's her deal?" Tyler sighed, moving back to his job of carrying boxes.

"Nik, Rebekah is right" River spoke "Forget about Elena, you have us, you don't need her"

"I need hybrids" Klaus argued.

"Then for me" River suggested "She's my friend, Klaus, please, leave her here, come with me and Rebekah"

Klaus ignored the boy, instead turning to begin packing.

-

River stood outside the Gilbert House, impatiently awaiting for the door to be opened.