masquerade

RIVER KING leaned back on the couch, his earthy brown eyes intently watching the blonde girl in front of him.

"Here" Damon handed her a small glass of blood.

"I'm still shaking" Caroline smiled slightly.

The younger of the Salvatore siblings quickly entered the room.

"What happened?" Stefan wondered.

Caroline sighed, licking the blood from her lips.

"Go ahead, tell him" Damon instructed.

"You're gonna love this" River smirked at the younger Salvatore.

"I saw Katherine today" Caroline hesitated.

"Where?" Stefan questioned immediately.

"At the Grill" Caroline answered "I just stopped by to gawk and...quasi-stalk Matt"

Caroline stood near the entrance of the Grill, a smile on her face as she watched the human bartender wiping down tables. Matt resisted the urge to smile as he looked up to see Caroline.

"Do you need a table?" Matt wondered.

"No I'm not staying" Caroline stammered "I just need to use the little girl's room"

"Skip the teen drama and get to it" Damon rolled his eyes.

"Then I had to pretend to use the bathroom even though I didn't really need to go because I'm a doofus" Caroline almost whined.

Caroline threw her arms in the air as she entered the bathroom, a sign of her irritation with herself. The blonde sighed before hearing movement, looking up from the sink she was leaning on.

"Elena!" Caroline greeted with surprise.

The brunette stood a few feet away did a largely good impression of the human doppelgänger, but not good enough for Caroline to miss that it was Katherine, and not Elena.

"Hey"  Katherine greeted, her acting skills in play "I saw you with Matt, are you okay?"

"Yeah, you know...whatever" Caroline scoffed.

The blonde took a moment before moving quickly towards the bathroom door, her vampiric speed helping but she wasn't quick enough. Katherine blocked the door, smirking as Caroline realised she was trapped.

"You're good" Katherine complimented "What gave me away? Was it the hair? Or was it the clothes?"

"I know Elena's at-" Caroline paused as her back hit the frame of the stall "I know Elena's at home"

"I need you to deliver a message" Katherine instructed.

"What was the message?" Stefan asked.

"Tell Damon and Stefan that I want the moonstone or I will rip this town apart until it rains blood" Katherine finished.