XXII. We will be back

Gale

In a split second, my heart almost skipped a beat as I dialed Jay's number.

Although it was ringing now, I still can't place myself in a fixed position, still walking back and forth hoping that my parents won't do something that will find out who I really am with right now.

Gale, hello? It was Jay. It seemed like he was doing something heavy that it made him breathe heavily.

"Jay, I want you to call my mom, and assure her that I am with your family. No ifs and buts," I commanded.

W-wait-

"Jay, she saw you at the mall!" I interrupted.

I'm so sorry, Gale. Send me the number and I'll let my mom speak with her. Leave it to me, Gale.

"Okay okay, thanks."

I exhaled deeply in relief. I really didn't want this to be ruined. I especially didn't want to disappoint Claire.

We continued chasing the roads towards the beach which was now really near. I really was so quiet as we pedalled throughout the pavement still with Claire not so far from me. I appreciated her for being so understanding.

I was so afraid to have this ruined. Not only this trip might get shattered but also my life with Claire. Who knows? I just hoped what Jay was going to do will be carried out perfectly. It's either it will save us or lose everything.

When we finally got to the beach, we settled ourselves in one of the cafes that offers a great view of the vast ocean. It may somehow help me cool off and get some relief.

"Do you want some coffee?" offered Claire. I know she was worried since that moment but she kept not to interfere with my thoughts.

"Can I have a tea, please?" I said softly.

She nodded and went to the counter to order.

I somehow admired the place although it was simple but it can give you peace of mind since it was not that crowded unlike the other diners.

It has traces of vintage architecture but still possesses modern art. Every corner was tinted a burgundy and cream which was soothing at sight. Instead of paintings, they used vintage photographs of the cafe to cover the naked walls. And that's when I concluded it was one of the oldest cafes stood here in South Beach.

Claire returned to our table holding a tray of what she has ordered. A tea and a coffee and a plate of chocolate chip cookies. Claire definitely knew what I like to eat with tea.

"Keep calm, Gale," stated Claire as I sipped. Her voice was so comforting that even just by hearing it, it would make me stay calm.

I smiled and said, "Thank you, my queen." I held her hand which was resting at the table.

She smiled back at me which was the most adorable view for today it even beat the numerous views and landscapes here in Miami.

The sweet moment was interrupted as my phone rang, displaying Jay's number.

Gale, it's a good news. He said excitedly.

"What? Tell me-"

I made your mom believe that I really am with you! She said that she might have deceived by her eyes.

Hearing those words, I breathed deeply and sighed.

"Thank you, Jay," I said. My voice was still weak, still regaining strength.

No problem! Call me anytime!

"I will." I ended up the call.

Claire was grinning. She knew it was something nice to hear.