VIII. Freckles and Roses

Gale

I never wished I would find her in this situation.

"Claire," I rushed towards her. "Are you okay?"

She hugged me. Tears were rushing. "Thank you, Gale. Thank you for saving me."

All of a sudden, worry turned to anger. Angry of myself, for not be able to protect Claire at all costs.

"All will be well, Claire."

Upon comforting her, I heard people approaching our place. We stood up, my hand tightly holding Claire.

Shivering, you can see fear through Claire's eyes. Even though I was already beside her, her expression was still dark, pleading for help.

"You're safe now, Claire. They won't come back again," I comforted her.

I took her at our cottage. People were glaring at us, curious about what happened. I handed her a glass of water. Her hands were trembling as she drank.

Jay went outside of the cottage and confronted people who were curious of the incident. Holding flashlights and phones, people are eager to see and know who are involved in the scandalous event.

"I want to sleep," said Claire. I know she is tired. She needs to rest.

"I'll look after you, Claire. I'll protect."

I settled one corner of the cottage. Made sure that Claire will sleep comfortably. I compiled my unused clothes to serve as the pillow. My utilized my already dried towel as a blanket to give her a warm sleep.

She fell asleep as soon as she closed her eyes. I wish I were always by her side, to protect her at all costs.

As I watch her sleeping, tears started to fall from my eyes.

I'm sorry, Claire. I wasn't able to protect you. And I wonder... when I can finally protect you.

Claire doesn't have something to do with what my problem is. She isn't supposed to have a problem too. She said, she transferred to this school to experience new atmosphere, and to go away from her past issue. But looking at what's happening, it is only worsening.

"I think I like you, Claire," I said softly. I made sure she won't hear every single word I say, even though she was sleeping. "But looking at our situation, I can't do anything. Maybe I can... just... secretly."

I took a deep breath and reached for my phone in my pocket. I opened the Notes application and started writing:

The words I said was true
It took so much courage for me to say
To believe it, it's up to you
Even though we can't be, at the end of the day

I turned off my phone.

"Sleep well, Claire."

—————

August 27, 2011
6:12 a.m.

-

I woke up with the sound of the students packing up, the cottage being cleaned. I was the only one laying down and sleeping.

I remembered Claire. I looked around. Everybody was busy fixing things. Still feeling dizzy, I got up. Claire wasn't here anymore.

Still haven't fixed myself, I went out of the cottage hoping I could find Claire.