XVI. Unintentional

Gale

And suddenly, the world stopped, making me the luckiest man on Earth.

The king and queen just got crowned. Are we ready to rule the world?

I guess we are not. There is still one rule we can't change. A rule that is so powerful, it can broke us into pieces more painful than what death could ever offer.

I know I'm dead when my parents will know about this. They, in fact, almost made Claire stay away from me. I don't want that to happen, even I know, when time comes, we'll get into that situation again. But I know, we'll get through it. It is my duty to fight for my love. It is my right to choose whom I want to love.

But for now, let's be cautious. I'm still gaining enough courage to mould a heart brave enough to speak.

With a smile, I took her soft hands. I wanted to kiss her but I knew now's not the right time.

We left the square, going back to the car. I had a plan on where to go before going home.

"Are we going home now?" Claire asked.

"One more destination." I grinned.

I stepped on the pedal as the car accelerated northwest. Claire sit still. It's now 6:30 in the evening.

Fifteen minutes later and we arrived to a restaurant that stood beside Hudson river, the Navigator's Diner. Since we haven't bad dinner yet, I came up with this restaurant a good place to dine in because while you are eating, you can see the view of Hudson river lit up with city lights. Also, this place is quite far from the city, and sort of hidden, where you can't hear city noises that are unpleasant. There are still operating boats visible rowing back and forth the river.

I parked the car and as we got out, Claire kept admiring the restaurant for it was themed vintage. The designs were classical they even used bamboo as an exterior design. Lamps and lamp holders helped to make the whole place more attractive as they were designed as if we were taken back to 90s. It was a total eye-catcher.

The last time I went here was when I was in freshman years when dad had a thanksgiving gathering together with his colleagues for an achievement he garnered that time. I was so impressed by how big was the improvement of this restaurant since the last time I went, so I took Claire here.

We sat in the left most table for two while the interior design kept making our jaws drop.

"Do you like it in here?" I asked Claire, as she was looking around the place.

"I didn't know this place before!" she exclaimed. "I wish I've known sooner."

"I want myself to be the one who will take you here first."

She smiled.

"So... shall we order our food?"

"Oh sure."

Chicken and beef steak were the signature dishes in this diner but we agreed to order the beef one. We had the Carrot Crisps as the appetizer and as the manager of the diner suggested us, we ordered a cinnamon cake topped with strawberry puree, which was their bestseller.

"How is it?" I asked Claire as she finished the first bite of the steak.

"INCREDIBLE!" she said in astonishment, going for a second bite.

As we finished the steak, we started eating the cinnamon cake which, at first, I doubted. I haven't encountered a cinnamon cake mixed with a strawberry in it that it made me conclude it was awful. The appearance was catchy with its brown base cake with cream icing on the outside and the strawberry puree was aesthetically spread on the top.