Ephemeral | 08

c h a e y o u n g

My hands automatically went to my mouth as I saw the place.

There was a table for two infront of us, rose petals were scattered on the floor and a group of musicians playing a romantic song.

If this is all a dream, then I wouldn't want to wake up anymore.

My eyes even widened when Jimin handed me a bouquet of red roses and kneeled infront of me.

He took out a black, velvet box and opened it. I stared at the silver wedding ring inside. It has no diamonds but I liked how it was simple yet elegant.

Tears started forming in my eyes. I'm really happy yet scared. I'm too scared that I might get used to this, that there would come a time that we have to let go but I cannot because I'm too attached already.

"Please accept this wedding ring."

I gulped and nodded continuously. He smiled like a child who got his candy as he put the ring on my ring finger.

He stood up after and hugged me tightly. "I'm sorry for not telling you the truth." He whispered in my ear.

Suddenly, the heavy feeling that I've been carrying since I heard them talking got flushed out.

"Don't be." I replied then broke free from the hug and held his face. "I should be the one who's sorry, not you."

Tears rolled down my cheeks. I don't deserve him.

He just looked at me like he was waiting for me to continue.

"I'm sorry for putting you into this. I have been saying this over and over, but I'm deeply sorry for marrying you without your consent."

I couldn't see him properly as tears continued forming in my eyes. Then I felt his thumb wiped the tears away.

"I should've said no, but here I am. All yours." He replied and hugged me again.

This time, I did not hesitate but to tell him what I have been wanting to tell him ever since I knew it for myself.

"I love you." I felt my face heat up so I immediately pulled him into a kiss.

It was a short one, but I think it was a very wrong move. I feel like I began to crave more.

As our lips parted, I heard him let out a little laugh. "My wife's quite aggressive."

We broke from the hug and he walked me to my chair. He was so gentleman towards me and there's no way that a woman wouldn't fall for him.

Dinner was served, and we just talked about random things about each other that we never knew before.

Just at that moment, I hoped that we'd stay like that. Even though I know deep down that we would never be like this until we grow old.

Even if he chose to stay and make me happy right now, I know that someday he'd run to the woman he wants to grow old with.

I wanted to cry, knowing that this would definitely come to an end. That one day, I'll see him at the end of the aisle, waiting for the woman that he'd want to spend the rest of his life with.

But sadly, I'm not that woman. Never was I and never will be.

"Do you want to walk by the shore?" He asked when we were done eating dessert. I nodded, my mouth was still stuffed with avocado ice cream.

I was actually surprised when he knew a lot about me, even my favorite foods. He was the best husband you'll ever have, and being his wife would be the greatest gift you'll receive.

He stood up first then went to me so that he could help me get up. I smiled at him as we started walking away from the table.

It only took us a few steps before we reached the sand. I was wearing heels so I decided to take it off and just walk with my bare foot.

He must've noticed it that's why he looked at me worriedly so I just smiled and assured him that my feet were fine.

We walked quietly. You could only hear the relaxing sound coming from the waves. Include the nice, warm feeling of the sand in my feet and the cold breeze coming from the wind.

After walking for a couple of minutes, we both decided to sit down and watch the waves as they reach the shore.

"I never thought you'd like me." He started, his eyes were glued on the sea.

I chuckled and took the nearest twig that I saw then wrote his name on the sand.

"Why not? You're the most like-able man that I know." I replied. He chuckled too, then lay down beside me, his left arm supporting his head.

"I'm not."

He pulled me in which resulted me to fall in his right arm.

I felt my face heat up. This was just another dream! I can't believe that all are coming true in just one night.

I was facing him and was surprised when he wrapped my arm around him, making it look like we were cuddling.

We fell silent. Then that's where I decided to ask him things. Based from the whole time I've spent with him, he wasn't bipolar, and he's really calm when he's talking.

I'm not worried that he might lash out and ruin the momentum.

"How long have you been courting Jongyeon?" I asked. I know that it was really risky to ask him about another girl, but she was the real reason why we're here in the first place.

I heard him let out a little sigh before answering.

"Half a year." I fell silent.

Three words, but it really shattered my heart into pieces. I know already that he likes someone else, but it hits differently when it comes from the man you love.

Unrequited love. What a sad concept.

"But I don't think I can continue courting her anymore." I heard him whisper, though I wasn't really sure if I heard it right.

I'm starting to get attached to this story now :(((