Chapter 1

The wind is strong on the beach as Emma Carstairs walks along the shore.

The sand is cool and damp underneath her feet. She looks up when she hears a sound of screaming and starts running towards it.

When she reaches where the scream was coming from she finds a horrific sight.

Emma's mother and father are on the shore, but they are dead with their skin the color of ash and strange runes all over their bodies.

A strangled cry tears out of her throat.

She wakes up in her bed in the Los Angeles Institute. Her bed sheets are rumpled are messy.

Her Parabatai, Julian Blackthorn, burst into her room.

'' Emma, are you okay?'' ''Yeah. Just another nightmare.''

Emma has been having on and off nightmares since the Dark War.

'' Jules, can you stay with me tonight?'' ''Sure.'' said Jules.

When either one of them has a nightmare, the other stays in their room.

They're Parabatai, so even though they're 17 years old, they aren't allowed to date each other.

She moves over to make room for Jules.

He raked his hair through his dark brown curls. His blue-green eyes are looking around the room.

He slept in her room countless times.

He could navigate through her room in pitch black and still know where everything is.

Emma lays on her  back as the darkness of sleep overtakes her.

There are never any nightmares when Jules is beside her. In the morning, Emma wakes up to Julian shaking her.

'' Em, come on. We still have to train. Diana is going to be mad at you.''

Diana Wrayburn is the Institute's tutor.

She became the tutor after the old tutor, Katerina, got Turned by Sebastian 5 years ago. Diana has a koi tattoo on her face.

'' I'll be right out.'' Emma said. Julian left to go across the hall to his own room to get dressed.

Emma got up and stretched. She went over to her closet and got out her training clothes.

It was a loose shirt and pants.

She put her long blonde hair into a quick braid and looked at herself in the mirror.

She saw her brown eyes staring back at her.