Chapter Twenty-Four

This chapter is dedicated to blazin_blue for being a complete sweetheart and the author of the awesome 'Wishful Thinking' which everyone should check out!  

Chapter Twenty Four

Mason's POV

I couldn't sleep.

My body was still on edge, filled with adrenalin that hadn't been released. Damn. I hated having this feeling and not being able to run it off. Normally when my wolf had taken control without my permission, letting him blow off some steam usually calmed him down enough for me to push him back.

Not this time.

This time he was still pissed. We both were. 

Of all the people that douche could have turned to, he had to pick her, didn't he? The last person I wanted to be brought into this mess, to see that kind of crap. There was a pounding in my head that was mirrored in my chest. As I lay in bed, on my back with my arms under my head, I couldn't push the feeling away. It was like someone was sitting on my chest, suffocating me. A constant weight pressing down and I had no idea what it was or why I had it.

It's because you hurt them. My wolf didn't hold back and this wasn't the first time he had called me out. They were scared of you.

That irked me off. No, you scared them. You took it too far, you shouldn't have taken control and maybe things would have been different. I could feel him snapping at me, but everything I said was true. Now, thanks to you, your mate is scared of you and Rain hates me.   

I wasn't the one who pushed them away. He spat, his anger bubbling inside of me. I wasn't the one who rejected her, you did that. You've done nothing but hurt her and you keep on hurting to her by lying. I could hear the snarl in his voice. How dare he bring this up? I didn't have a choice, but to lie to her. 

At this point I wanted him to just leave me alone. I didn't need him going on about everything that had happened, what I needed was to get some sleep. Even that, something as simple as falling asleep was no longer easy thanks to the stupid feelings that thrashed around inside of me.

Not only did it feel as if I had a slab of concrete on my chest, but I was burning up. I was used to running at a higher temperature, but this was agonizing. Even with the covers pushed back and wearing nothing but boxers, I felt as if my body was on fire.

My wolf's quiet voice echoing in the back of my head surprised me. It's our reaction to her. It didn't take me long to understand what he was saying. It's so close, probably closer than she realises. Maybe one, two weeks before she's fully in heat and she won't be able to stop herself or her wolf.

I couldn't help but question why it was taking her so long. I mean, you could catch a scent off the femmes in my pack a few days before they were fully in heat, so why the hell hadn't it happened to Rain yet?

My wolf decided to answer my rhetorical question. Because she's fighting it. His voice sounded pained. She's strong, and stubborn. She's our little fighter. I chuckled; he couldn't have been more spot on. That's exactly what she was.

Having her so close to me, her scent so delicious and powerful, was killing us and as much as I'd hate to admit it, I wanted her just as much as he did. The fiery little brunette that haunted almost every thought I had, devoured every dream, was something I couldn't ignore any longer.

She can't fight us forever. Her wolf will want and need me in ways Rainie can't begin to understand. No matter how strong or stubborn she is, she won't be able to control her wolf.