Chapter Thirty-Three - Part One

Chapter 33 already. Time flies, right?

Chapter Thirty Three

Part One

Waking up to the early hour sunshine breaking through the window, with my wolf pacing back and forth inside of me wasn't the best way to greet the morning. I called out to her wanting to know what was wrong.

Wiping the last evidence of sleep from my eyes, I sat up in bed. It didn't hit me straight away, but seeing the empty spot next to me which Mason had occupied hours earlier gave me the reason for her being unsettled.

Where is he? Looking around my room, I was greeted with complete stillness and absolutely no sign of Mason. For a second I wondered if I had dreamt last night, but the woodsy, masculine scent that swirled around me put that thought out of my head.

I checked the time on my phone and decided that at half six, there was no point in trying to fall asleep again so, pushing back the cover, I jumped out of bed and headed for the bathroom.

The cool water against my burning skin was welcomed as I tilted my head back allowing it to wash over my face. The longer I stood there letting the water cascade down my body, I realised no matter how good it felt, no amount of it would ease the dull tightening in my chest.

You miss him. My wolf's almost silent whisper trickled through my mind. That much was obvious. I knew I missed him, but I still wasn't used to getting these kind of feelings.

It wasn't only my feelings for Mason I had to deal with; it was also the unavoidable irritation from my wolf. Part of it was her need to be mated, but I could also feel her torment of being caged. This had been the longest I hadn't let her run for and I was feeling the effects of it.

Browsing through my clothes, it hit me that I had absolutely nothing to wear for the date. Sure I had some nice clothes, but having no idea what we were doing or where we were going certainly didn't help and I definitely didn't want another shopping trip.

Picking out a pair of dark grey yoga pants and a fitted white t-shirt, I couldn't stop my mind from racing with thoughts of Mason leaving without a word this morning.

Did that mean our date was cancelled? Was that his way of saying he'd made a mistake with everything between us? I honestly didn't know, but I didn't like the sinking feeling in my gut when I thought about it.

Whatever made him leave wasn't something I wanted to think about. I fought against my wolf not to use our mind link to ask him. I wasn't ready to face anything that would hurt us and I knew I'd find out sooner or later.

* * *

With another check of the clock, I still had some time before school started so once I was done with breakfast, I grabbed my phone and text Jude to tell him I wouldn't need a ride because I was going to make my own way there.

Making my own way consisted of running and plenty of it. Making sure I had everything I needed in my bag, I left a note for my dad, who would no doubt be up first, letting him know I had already left. Quickly stripping my clothes, I threw them into my bag before giving my wolf full control of our shift.

Her excitement was uncontainable as the sensation of my bones shrinking, snapping and re-shaping themselves surged through my body. The feeling, something similar to popping limbs, gave me amazing relief and there was definitely nothing else like it.

Ash grey fur sprouted from my arms, legs and stomach, and before I knew it, had completely covered me in a thick, silky smooth coat. Lapping my tongue over my newly sharpened canines, I grabbed the strap of my bag between my teeth and left through the kitchen door, immediately being hit by the warm, morning sun.