Chapter Twenty-Eight

Please check out The Waves That Broke My Heart by @RightTwoLeft. She's absolutely awesome girl!

This chapter is dedicated to one of my twitter sweetheart @FreeShoes09

And the beautiful cover is made by @horsesland125 Thank you so much lovely

Chapter Twenty Eight

Mason's POV

I thought she would have bolted. The second she saw me running towards the class, I thought she would have jumped out of her seat and left as fast as her legs could carry her, but as usual the little stubborn kitten stayed where she was, completely ignoring my order.

Typical Rain.

I never understood what people meant when they said they saw red, but as soon as I caught sight of that guy behind her, eyeing her like fresh meat, that's exactly what happened. The fact I was surrounded by humans on a football field didn't register as anger filled my body and I took off. The image of his neck being torn to pieces spurring me to go faster.

I was more than ready to show him that my mate wasn't to be messed with and had Rain left when I had asked; I would have no problem doing that. In fact, I would have enjoyed it.

Instead it gave enough time for St. Freaking Jude to turn up and start throwing his weight around. Yeah, I'll admit he was right. If I would have hurt that guy - which was intended - Rain would never have forgiven me. She was just about putting all the other stuff I had done; I didn't need that going against me as well. Still, it didn't make it easy to have him take control of the situation like a martyr. I was in half a mind to rip both of their throats out and be done with them.

Seeing her little face peering over the desk, her eyes glazing over with unshed tears, all thoughts of Jude and Jeremy were out of my mind and all I could focus on was getting her the hell out of there and making her safe. Jude might not have been full wolf, but he was more than capable of dealing with this on his own and even if he wasn't, I didn't care. He wasn't my priority, she was.

At first I wasn't sure if she was going to leave with me. I knew what she felt for Jude, not only because I could feel it, but because I could see it. I could see the way he looked at her and I knew how important he was to her. It made me crazy, but there was nothing I could do.

If you hadn't have pushed her away, she wouldn't be so close to him. My wolf snarled, not afraid to tell me what he really thought. Not that he ever was, stupid dog.

Who knows, maybe he was right, or maybe no matter how I reacted to finding out that Rain was my mate, they still would have grown close. I know one thing though, seeing her kiss him that day sent my wolf into frenzy. I would have killed every member of my own pack with the anger I felt and it was only made worse by the fact that I could feel exactly what she did. The excitement, the nervousness and the little flutters that jumped in her heart, all of it made me so angry. What I didn't expect to feel was the amount of pain it caused.

Rain accepting my rejection was the hardest thing I had to take or so I thought, but nothing prepared me for the sudden drop in my stomach, the hollowness that weighed in my heart and the echoing howl from my wolf.

We were on patrol, there'd been reports of rogues entering our territory so instead of the party we had planned, we had to do rounds in the woods. As future Beta, Cole was running with me on a scent we had picked up to the east whilst Jake had taken a couple of other guys south. I wasn't even thinking about her. Not one single thought about Rain entered my head that night and still that image played for me clear as day.

At first I could only feel her emotions. The happiness she felt had my wolf distracted, his thoughts immediately focusing on her, wanting to know if she was thinking of us. As usual the love struck puppy thought with his heart before his head and before I knew it, I could see them together, her and Jude.