Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

My eyes focused on one thing.

Having spent the last ninety minutes doing nothing but ignore my algebra teacher and watch Jude run around the football field, I still couldn't figure out what Mason was talking about. What could Jude be keeping from me?

"Maybe you should ask Taylor what he's hiding."

Those were his exact words. Maybe I was missing something, maybe Jude let something slip that I just didn't catch. Trying to remember everything we had spoken about, I began to realize that we hadn't actually spoken about that much. Sure, we had endless conversations, but they were never about anything in particular, never about anything important. The only real thing Jude had ever told me was that he moved here with his mom because she couldn't handle being in the home where his father died.

Is that what Mason was talking about? He knew something about his dad's death.

The more I thought about it the more that seemed ridiculous. Why would the death of someone's father be anything to threaten him over, to hate him for?

Emma's low whisper pulled my attention away from the window overlooking football practice to her. "So are you looking forward to training?"

I stared at her blankly for a few seconds before I realized what she was talking about. "Oh that," I smiled at the very thought of it. "Yeah I can't wait. Nicky said we'll be trained by Richard, so it's going to be tough."

Today was my first training session to become Beta. I was surprised it all happened this fast, but Alpha Tom said with what is going on with the Black Forest Pack, everybody needs to prepare in case a fight is called.

She nodded her head. "There's no doubt it will be, Richard is a hard man to please. I'm surprised they teamed you with him on your first day though." She said thoughtfully.

Emma was right. Richard, when in training was in one word, evil. He didn't set goals, he just pushed you until you couldn't function anymore and then he'd have you keep going. It was his job in the pack and had been for as long as I could remember, though he normally trained those who had held the position for a few months.

"Apparently we'll be starting with the basic, but even those are going to kill me, aren't they?" Nicky was naturally sporty and fit, whereas I would get a concussion just from the thought of playing dodge ball. I really was useless when it came to anything remotely physical. Giving me a knowing smile, she nodded before turning her attention back towards the teacher.

As we had a month or so left until school finished for summer, we would be training four times a week after school and on Saturdays. We didn't live together in one house like most packs, when we all moved here we stayed with our own families. Nicky told me that we had been given permission to train on the Harbor pack's land, which made the training sound even tougher - their land was huge.

The familiar screech of the bell overhead told me class had finished. After gathering up my stuff and packing it way, I linked my arm through Emma's as we made our way to lunch. "Hey babe." Ray said snaking his arms around Emma's waist. Kissing him on the cheek, she wrapped her arm around his.

"Looking forward to the party on Friday girls?" He asked standing in between me and Emma, as we walked together down the corridor.

Emma nodded and smiled, "Yep." She said popping the 'p'. "Bella, Rainie and I are going shopping tomorrow on our lunch for something to wear." A boyish grin appeared on his face, probably at the very guy-like thought of what she was going to buy.

I smiled, but kept quiet. Shopping really wasn't my thing. Don't get me wrong, I loved clothes as much as the next girl, but the endless changing, finding clothes that you like that aren't in your size and the everlasting line to the cashier just tipped me over the edge.