Chapter Thirty-Eight

Beside is a picture of Rainie'e necklace. I'm jealous. I want it.

Dedicated to _Zelycha480_ for her beautiful message. You're beautiful, thank you

Chapter Thirty Eight

The past two days had been a blur of party preparations and training. I was back at home, having only spent one night at Nicky's, we didn't want to take the risk with me still being in heat.

My mom and I still hadn't spoken about what happened at the pack meeting. There was no point, it wasn't something that we were going to agree on nor was it something either of us wanted to face yet. My dad was trying to compensate for what happened. He had taken it upon himself to sort out her mess, going to the Harbor Pack house and personally apologizing to Alpha Vermont.

I was pretty sure things wouldn't have gone as smoothly as they did had it not been for Mason. He had told his father there was no need for any punishment as my mom knew she had done wrong in disrespecting them both the way she did. Well, that's what he told me anyway. Personally I think more was said but never the less, I was thankful.

"Rain!" My name being called tore me away from my thoughts. "Are you ok?" Turning around to face Mason, an instant smile lifted my lips. "Daydreaming about me again, little kitten?" I rolled my eyes at his cocky smirk.

I snorted, "You wish."

"I don't need to wish for it." He said, as he wrapped his arm around my waist.

Playfully shoving him away, I continued to arrange the bouquets of flowers. "Your mom has overdone it a little, don't you think?"

Mason leaned forward and plucked a single red rose from the bouquet before lifting it to his nose. "She's excited," He shrugged, dropping it back on to the counter. "It's not every day her son and his mate have their announcement ceremony."

He had a point. Today was the day of the ceremony and everyone was busy doing their own tasks that Sara had set. I was sorting out the flowers; Mason had chosen roses and sweet autumn clematis, which held a vanilla scent that didn't escape my attention. Mason and Jake were busy fixing the lights whilst Ray and Bella were setting up the seating arrangements. Emma was helping Nellie and Delilah with the food, and Nicky and Cole were grouped with Richard and Alpha Vermont searching the ground, making sure all was clear with no sign of the Redbloods.

The imminent threat of them was never more at the forefront of my mind, but I tried my best not to focus on it too much. I didn't want anything to spoil tonight and that included my mood.

"They smell beautiful." I commented as I placed a bunch of sweet autumn clematis in the center of the rose bouquet. It was a gesture – like the vanillas scented candles and roses in the diner – from Mason that made my heart swell.

Mason chuckled, "I already know." He kissed my cheek. I pressed my lips together and dipped my head to hide the sudden rush of redness that covered my cheeks. "Don't hide your smile from me, mate." Mason whispered, his lips brushing the nape of my neck. This time I didn't, I spun on my heel, flowers in hand and wrapped my arms around his neck crashing my lips to his. His brief jolt of surprise left me smiling in a small victory.

The clearing of someone's throat had me taking a step back, though Mason kept his arms firmly wrapped around me. "Sorry Rainie," Nicky said, awkwardly running his fingers through his hair, before turning his attention to Mason, "We've checked the house and there's nothing. A few out of place scents around the woods, but we've sent a couple of the guys to check it out."

"And Richard?" Mason asked, both guys fully emerged into their Alpha tones and duties.

"He's prepping everyone as we speak." Nicky replied, "Ray has taken over the search with Cole and I'm going to head back out there."