Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

Sparks were set surging through my body as I lay staring into those eyes. Eyes that I easily found myself getting lost in. A familiar nervousness took shelter in my stomach as my insides tightened with a growing lust that I had become used to.

Every hair on my body stood on end as the electric that surrounded us built and intensified. Whenever I was with him there was always a chance my heart would suddenly burst through my chest and now was no different. His strong, masculine scent floated around me, wrapping me in a secure blanket that I could quickly become addicted to.

The depth of those electric blue eyes never failed to cause my breath to catch in my throat.

How I didn't recognize Mason's scent before, I don't know. It didn't seem possible that I would mistake that unique smell for someone else, but I guess the alcohol didn't help. It had clouded my mind so I'm sure it could do the same to my senses.

I hadn't even realized he was still at the party. After seeing him by the pool with others from his pack he had practically disappeared. I remember feeling his eyes on me when I was first at the swing, but after that there was nothing so I assumed he had left.

But no, lying next to me no longer in his wolf form, his smooth, hard and sculptured bare flesh was pressed against mine. Warmth was seeping through the fabric of my dress from his arm that was draped over my waist and I couldn't fight the urge to move a little bit closer to him, if that was even possible.

With perfectly mussed hair that fell across his forehead and into his eyes, he gazed at me with a hooded expression. In the comfortable silence that surrounded us I allowed my wolf and myself to stare at our mate. The purr that rolled from her tongue ignited an instant fire inside of my core as the urge to wrap my arms around him and crash my lips to his came close to taking over.

"Rainie...."

My mind jolted, the backdrop of the woods quickly fading and blackness taking over. "Rainie." My name was called again.

Refusing to be taken away from the only perfect moment I had that was shared with my mate I screwed my eyes up tighter, fighting the blackness and trying to hold onto the image that was suddenly slipping from my grasp.

"She's okay, isn't she?" A worried voice asked. Then all too quickly, it was gone. Mason, the woods, the heat from his body, his scent, all of it and in its place was the coolness of my bed and the hazel eyes of Bella hovering over me.

"Oh, my God!" Her voice, already latent in worry, went up a few notches. "Are you okay?" She asked, but without giving me time to answer, she continued franticly. "Rainie, what happened? Are you hurt? Did anyone hurt you? Did he hurt you? I swear to God if anyone lay a finger on you, I'll get my daddy's gun and the barrel will be the last thing they see. Why aren't you saying anything? She's okay, right?"

Her attention turned to away from me and it wasn't long before Nicky's voice dropped into the conversation. "If you stop ranting, take a breath and give her a minute to wake up, she might be able to answer you." There was tension in his voice, but also amusement. I had no doubt Bella had the gun loaded already and Nicky probably had the same thought. 

Smiling to myself, I wiped my groggy eyes and sat up. A pain shot from the back of my head to the front and my stomach churned at the invasion of the sun's brightness.

Great, a hangover is just what I need, I thought with bitter sarcasm. "Babe, do you need some water?" Not daring to move my head for fear of that God awful pain, I gave a small smile and reached to take the glass of water from Bella's hand, draining the contents as if it was the first drink I had since I was born.