Chapter Three

Dedicated to @TryingToForceASmile for adding Oh, So to Wattpad's Greatest Stories Of All Time. Thank you so much Aalyce ♥♥♥

Chapter Three

I hadn't realized Mason was holding all of my weight against the lockers until he walked away from me and I fell to the floor. Tears were falling uncontrollably from my eyes, but I didn't bother to wipe them away, I knew only fresh ones would appear seconds later.

He rejected me.

My mate, my soul mate rejected me. The one person who is made for me, who is supposed to love me more unconditionally, rejected me.

'I, Mason Vermont reject you, Rainie Harper as my mate.'

I let those words circle around in my head. I wanted to refuse to let them sink in, but I had no choice. He didn't want me and there was nothing I could do about it.

That's how Ray and Emma, his mate, found me. Emma immediately pulled me into a hug and told Ray she was taking me home. He nodded and without saying a word and ran in the opposite direction. Probably to tell the others something had happened.

His scent was strong and I knew he was still close. My wolf whimpered despite the pain she felt and begged me to turn around and go to him.

The strong breeze that hit me when I stepped out of the school doors was welcomed. I inhaled deeply as the beautifully intoxicating scent of Mason was carried away from me. Emma held me tighter as we hurried over to her car. I didn't want to be here right now. I couldn't be.

"What the hell happened in there Rainie?" Her words were laced with worry and panic was written all over her face.

My voice was barely a whisper. "He rejected me." I choked out, hating how the words sounded.

For a second she looked confused, probably trying to piece everything together. It didn't take her long and once the realization hit, her face dropped. "Oh my God." She breathed. "Let's get you out of here."

My shaking hand grabbed hold of the car door. "Thank you for this Emma." I said as I opened it for me to get in. When she didn't answer or make a move to get in the car I looked up at her, only to find her eyes set on something behind me. "What's up, Em?" Her face had turned red and her body shook. I looked over my shoulder to see what was going on, but I didn't have to look far.

Finding her voice, she swung the car door open. "Get in!" I had no idea what he was doing, but there, standing on the steps outside the school's main door was my mate.

"Rainie, I said get in." She yelled. The tears were falling quicker than I could stop them. "Get in the damn car!" This time I followed her order.

Was he only there to gloat?

Was he there to cause me even more pain? If he did, he succeeded.

I allowed myself one last look back in his direction. He hadn't moved and despite the protests from my wolf, I turned my head forward and focused my tear-filled gaze on the passing scenery.

* * *

The guys were in my room later that night. I didn't want to see anyone, but they wouldn't take no for an answer. "He did what?!" Nicky yelled as he paced back and forth. "That's not possible. How can he just reject you?" He ran his hands through his hair in frustration.

"Guys it's fine, honestly." I lied. "Let's just pretend it never happened, okay?" Maybe I could block out what happened today and just like I said, pretend it never happened. My wolf laughed at me. Guess not then.