Chapter Seventeen

Thank you, you beautiful people for being so bloody amazing

Chapter 17

Cursing, I sighed and let my frustration out on my hairbrush by slamming it down on the table. I had stood here for twenty minutes trying to control my unruly hair, but it wasn't having any of it.  Staring at the reflection of the green eyed, slightly pink cheeked girl, I let out another exasperated sigh. 

I had three hours to go before Ray's party and I was still nowhere near ready. In fact, I was still in my camisole and sweats.

"Honey, are you ready?" My mom called from the other side of the bathroom door. Instead of answering, I walked over to the door and opened it, letting my mom see just exactly how far I had gotten in my attempts to get ready.

Her face said it all. "Oh Rainie," She covered her mouth with her fingers. "What happened?" I could see she was stifling a laugh. So much for a mother's support.

I knew she was referring to the crazy, fuzzy hairstyle that I was currently sporting.  "It just won't stay down." I moaned, running my hands over my hair trying to get it at least a little flatter and not resembling the aftermath of an electric shock.

Giving me a smile, she pulled me from the bathroom, across my bedroom and sat me down on the chair. "It won't take that long to fix. When are the girls coming over?"

Folding my feet underneath me I fiddled with the hem of my camisole. "Emma's already at Ray's helping him set up and Bella is coming over in," I craned my neck around and looked at the time on my bedside clock, "twenty minutes."

"What's your dress like?" she asked as she pulled my hair and tied the top half up before taking a styling iron to the bottom layer.

Squirming in my seat I locked eyes with her through the mirror I was sat in front of. "I don't know," I shrugged. "Bella picked it out for me." The nerves I had about what kind of dress she chose came back to me. Bella had a... unique style, but I hoped she had just picked a normal, Rainie-like dress. 

Ten minutes later I could see some improvement in my hair and by improvement I meant it was half way to being slightly presentable. "Hey mom," I began. Even the thought of speaking to my mom about this had my legs bouncing up and down and me ringing my hands. "What was it like with you and dad?"

Her forehead creased. "When you first met, I mean. What happened?"

Instantly her face brightened and her lips lifted into a full, beaming smile. "We were sixteen and it took him three weeks to tell me." She chuckled as she recalled the memory.

"He told you?" I asked in confusion.

Nodding her head, she let another strand of perfectly styled hair cascade down my back. "You only know who your mate is when your eyes meet with theirs. Until then all you get is their scent and it could be anyone in the room." She explained.

I closed my eyes, remembering that day in my head. How Mason's eyes scanned the cafeteria in search of me. How... full I felt. Full of happiness, full of love, full of lust and pride when I saw him. Somehow I felt complete, as if every part of me was in place now that I knew I had him. Refocusing my eyes back on my mom, I knew exactly why she had a smile that big on her face, it was an incredible feeling.

She continued, not noticing the sudden unshed tears that filled my eyes. "He noticed me three weeks before, but he said he was too nervous to approach me. We didn't have any classes together, with him being a year older, so the opportunity for me to see him never really came up."

I continued to listen to everything my father had told her about the first time he saw her and knew she was his mate. Even now, after all the years they had been married I could still see the spark they had was still there between them.