Chapter 8

It was my father's piano.

    I sat down on the bench in front of it and instantly let my fingers fly across it. I couldn't believe that after 2 years I was still able to play fluently. I was playing little tunes that I learned and then moved onto stuff I wrote myself.

    "So I see you've discovered this room." said my mother's voice, startling me.

    "Yeah, I have. I didn't think I could ever play again..."

    "Well, apparently you can. I bought it hoping maybe you'd get back into it. That was always you and your father's bonding time. Whenever I cpuldn't find you, I'd hear the piano ringing throughout the house and I'd instantly know." she said shakily.

    "I know." I said, a tear threatening to shed.

    "You know, just because your fathers gone doesn't mean you needed to erase what you had." she said, sitting down next to me.

    "I know, but it was a promise I made that I wouldn't play unless I was with him. I went against that Mom." I said as the tear made its way down my cheek.

    "Shh, sweetie. He'd be proud. That's only letting him now that you still think about him. It's okay, I miss him too. I stood up and went to my room. I couldn't be around anyone. It's too hard to be reminded of my father.

~FLASHBACK~

    "C'mon Hannah, you've got this. Follow my fingers." said my father as he taught me Mary had a Little Lamb. My little fingers following after his.

    "That's it! You're doing great honey. Now try it on your own." he said, looking into my eyes proudly. I looked at the keys and naturally played it.

    "Woah Hannah! You're better than me!" he said causing me to giggle. I shot off the bench and ran around the piano, him chasing me. He scooped me up in his arm and started tickling me, causing me to laugh loudly.

    "Dinner!" shouted my mother. My dad carried me over to the dinner table and set me in a chair.

    That was the dinner where my dad announced he had cancer. Me, being young at the time, didn't know what he meant.

    "What's that daddy?" I asked bouncing around in my seat, eating my mashed potatoes.

    "Honey, it means daddy's very sick." he said looking into my eyes.

    "Well, go to da doctors and get better!" I said, goofily. Never ever did I expect it to mean that he was going to die.

~~~~

      I didn't even acknowledge that I had fallen asleep until I woke up at 5 am. I had to go to work. I lazily got out of bed and dragged myself into the bathroom. I turned on the light, causing my eyes to burn like hell. I blinked a couple times to get my eyes immune.

    "What the..." I said to myself. I looked like I had been beaten. My eyes were puffy and there were crusty trails from tears all down my cheeks. My make up had run, making me look like a raccoon. My hair sticking up and knotted. I stripped off my clothing and got straight into the shower, turning the water on full blast and scorching hot. It burned but it was oddly pleasant and eventually, I got used to it. I finished up shaving and washed my hair with my passion fruit shampoo that smelled like happiness. I rinsed myself down once more and got out into the Arctic air.

    "Goodbye Hannah!" shouted my mother from downstairs as I was getting my outfit out of my closet.

    "Bye Mom. Love you, drive safe!" I shouted down the stairs.

      I put on my outfit but decided to do a different top and a striped blazer instead. I decided to straighten my hair today. I went light on make up and just put on a thick wing of eyeliner and some mascara. Luckily, I had clear, tan skin. I sprayed on a little bit of Wonderstruck by Taylor Swift and added in some jewelry and checked myself over. I grabbed my little blue clutch and headed over to Delilah's. Did I mention she lived only 2 blocks away?

( Hannah's outfit http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=64095890 )

I knocked on the door and a little girl opened it almost immediately.

    "Well hello! You must be Delilah's little cousin I heard about." I said but she just stood there confused.

    "Lily! A pretty girls at da door for you!" she said, her comment slightly making me blush.

    "Hey Hannah!" popped up Delilah, picking up her little cousin. "This is Maggie. Maggie this is Hannah. She's from America!" said Delilah in a baby voice. Maggie just looked in between us.

    "So nice to meet you Maggie!" I said, flashing a smile at her which instantly made her smile. I've always had a way with kids. It's quite odd, actually. Delilah set Maggie on the ground and she toddled off into another room.

    "You changed the outfit!" she said in surprise.

    "Just a few adjustments. Same colors and such. Speaking of which, I'm digging your outfit! Totally screams Delilah." I said assessing over her outfit.

    It consisted of a flowy, salmon tank top, Navajo sequined short, some bronze sandals, some bangles and a salmon ring. Her blond hair was in a fishtail braid and her make up was a light brown smokey eyes. She grabbed her yellow clutch and perfected her outfit. It was so cute.

( Delilah's outfit http://www.polyvore.com/fan_fiction_writing/set?id=64098151 )

    "Thanks! It's so hot out so I figured it would be a nice day to wear this!" she said, closing the door behind her.

    "Hot?! This is like Winter in San Diego. It's so cold here, I'm thinking of switching into some damn jeans!" I said rubbing my legs once we were seated in her car.

    "Well, it's Summer here. This is hot for our people." she said looking at me with confusion. "How could you be cold? It's like 60 degrees.." (Fahrenheit)

    "My point exactly. It's like 110 degree weather during the Summer in San Diego..." I said as I buckled myself in.

    "Jesus, that'd be torture for me. It's already too hot out now!" she said , turning on the radio. She turned it down a little so it was background noise. Diamonds by Rihanna was playing.

    "This is like torture for me. I feel as though I'm going to freeze to death!" I said letting out a small giggle. Honestly, it wasn't THAT bad. I was just messing with Lil. Finally, we showed up at work and it was just me and Delilah working today. We opened the shop and got on our aprons and started prepping for the long day ahead.