Chapter 8: Kara Danvers

Kara has grown up on Earth for 11 years. Now she is 24.

She and Alex have formed an unbreakable bond over the past few years. They have moved to National City together and living close by. Alex visits Kara almost everyday, and Kara has been under instructions to lay low, keep hidden.

Alex loved her sister. It's hard to imagine them ever hating each other.

Kara has gotten a stable job as an assistant of Cat Grant, the founder of CatCo. Worldwide Media. Well, given her ability to run and do tasks for the most powerful woman in the world. She knew full well how to control her abilities now, and the lead-lined glasses helped her a lot.

"KEERAAAAH!"

Kara hurriedly dashed, as quickly as humanly possible, to the blond-haired woman who perched in her office.

"Yes, Miss Grant?"

She had gotten used to being yelled at, at being called Kerah, instead of Kara.

Miss Grant looked at her, appalled. She held up her coffee mug, "What is this?"

"Uh, i-it's a cappuccino?"
[A/N: I don't remember what Cat liked . . .]

"Feel it."

Kara stretched her hand out, and it came into contact with a searing hot paper cup.

She pulled her hand back, wincing slightly.

"U-uh, w-what's the problem with the drink, Miss Grant? Is it too bitter? I-is it too sweet, or - "

"Kerah," Miss Grant said, causing Kara's eyes to flick up towards hers.

"You can't feel the problem?"

Kara's palms became sweaty. What had she done wrong? Was it too hot? Was it too cold?

"This cup is NOT my cup!"

Kara's shoulders sagged. Honestly, it was a wonder she was able to stay here for the past two years, without quitting or getting fired. Still, it pays well, enough for her to support herself.

" . . . Kerah!"

Her head snapped up, so quickly that Kara thought she would get a whiplash.

"I said, 'Get. Me. MY. CUP!'"

Kara nodded, taking the cup from her employer. She ran over to grab the cup, as she bumped into someone.

"Oh! I-I'm sorry!"

"It's fine. Need a hand?"

She looked up, at the outstretched hand of the man she had knocked.

"Yeah, thanks," Kara said, accepting his hand, "I just need to get this cup of cappuccino to Miss Grant. In her cup."

The man smiled. He picked up the cup that was luckily still standing, with all its contents still within it.

She took the cup from his hands and looked at him again, "Thanks agai - Wait, you're Jimmy Olsen! From the Daily Planet! Aren't you Ka - I mean, Clark's friend?"

He just nodded, "Yes, I am. Everyone knows that Clark and I are best friends. We go way back."

"Oh, really? Well, I'm his cousin. Kara Danvers. Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you t -"

"KERAH! I'm WAITING!"

Kara smiled sheepishly at Jimmy, "I'd better get going."

He waved at her as she ran past him.

~~~~~~~~

Later on, she sat at her desk, typing at breakneck speed.

"Whatcha doing, Kara?"

She jumped. Turning her head, she saw Jimmy Olsen standing there.

"Oh! Hey! I'm, uh, messaging Clark."

"At that speed?"

Kara stared at him, at a loss for words. He grinned, "I know about it already. Clark told me about himself, and about you. I came over for a new job opportunity, and to meet you."

"He did?"

Jimmy nodded again, "Don't worry. Your secret's safe with me."

"Thanks, Jimmy."

"No worries. Oh, and by the way, it's James. Not Jimmy."

"Okay. See you around, James!"

~~~~~~~~

"Hey, Winn."

"Yeeah?"

"I need to tell you something. Meet me on the roof."

"The . . . roof?"

As Winn ascended the stairs, he stared across the helicopter landing pad.

"Kara? Can we make this quick? I feel exhausted from climbing the stairs and I don't really feel comfortable this high . . . "

"Okay, so you know Superman, right?"

Winn looked confused, "O-of course I know him. Not personally, of course, but I'd recognise him if I see him."

Kara looked into the sky. As she lowered her head, she just said to Winn, "I'm his cousin. His biological cousin."

"Riiiiight."

"You don't believe me, do you?"

"Of course I believe you. I - "

Kara leapt. She let herself plummet a few stories before she willed herself to fly.

"Y-you're not human."

Kara nodded. She looked at Winn and said, "I need your help."

~~~~~~~~

Winn had been working with Kara for the next few days, before, during and after work hours. He was so excited to have a super-friend, but Kara had to tell him off every time he would almost give her away.

He had come up with a design for her costume. The costume that would become her iconic red-and-blues. She admired her cousin. She wanted to be a hero too.

Given, she was doing this without the approval of her sister, or even Eliza, but this was what she wanted. This was her dream.

He had helped her so much.

"So, Winn. Thanks so much for helping me with the suit. Now, I just gotta hide it so Alex doesn't see it."

"No problem."

An awkward pause. The moving of boxes and clothes was all that they heard.

He blushed, "Uh, so Kara, do you maybe wanna, uhm, go out sometime?"

Kara looked at him.

"Sure, I guess . . . "

~~~~~~~~

[A/N: I don't really know what I'm writing at this point.]