Chapter 37: And So It Begins

Kara jolted awake with a start.

They were early. Earlier than they had anticipated.

"Looks like there's no time to rest . . . "

Kara leapt to her feet, weariness slowing her down. She glanced over at the rest of the team, who were still groggy from their naps.

"We have a plan. We follow it. Got it?"

Try as they might, their nods weren't as convincing as Kara had hoped.

"This whole time Lex has been fighting on his turf. His rules. This time, we bring the fight to him. On our turf!"

And so, the fight began...

~~~~~~~~

They had struck, and Lena knew it.

She wanted to join the battle, to help her friends, but . . .

She was unsure of whether they would trust her again.

She was a Luthor whether she liked it or not, and there was no changing that.

~~~~~~~~

His eyes flicked to the monitor. It was going as planned.

All they had to do was cause some chaos, and Supergirl and her little team of misfits to come running to the rescue.

All he had to do was wait. 

Then, and only then, would he be able to rid this world of the pests that were aliens. There was only one more small problem.

He turned, striding down the hallway.

~~~~~~~~

Mon-El growled as Kara stared out into the horizon.

How did so many things go wrong so quickly?

He couldn't help but feel a little guilty for the tragedy that had struck them.

"Mon-El?"

He looked over as Kara tapped him on the shoulder. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah." He quickly said, before acting nonchalant, then added, "I can't help but feel responsible for what has happened to us-"

"Stop right there. You were the reason Lex didn't pursue me further that day in my loft. You were the reason Alex managed to survive. You were also the reason I survived."

"I'm sorry. It's just . . . it's just that I feel that . . . if I hadn't lost you by being so selfish and overprotective, we wouldn't be in this situation now."

Kara gave Mon-El a nervous laugh, "Honestly, I think about that too. If I hadn't told you off, and we hadn't taken a break, maybe we would have been able to have a better plan. But that's in the past. We need to focus and . . . and hope that we would be able to pull through."

"But before we go, I'd like to say something."

"Go on."

"Kara Zor-El, I regret everyday what I have done to you, and I would give anything to have a second chance with you. Please . . . will you grant me that one wish?"

Kara fought her tears. "I'd be lying if I said I'm over you." She locked eyes with him, "If we get through this, I promise I'll give you that chance."

"Ahem." The two heroes looked at the Martian. "If you are done professing your love, we have something pressing to attend to."

"One moment." Mon-El said, before he pulled the Kryptonian in for a kiss. Passion, desperation and, above all, affection.

As they parted, each panting for air, Kara looked at J'onn and said, "We're ready."

~~~~~~~~

A/N: I know this was not what you expected for this chapter, but this is just the calm before the storm. The next chapter, the fight really begins. Who will ultimately face and take down Lex Luthor? Only time will tell . . .