Prologue

The vampire king paced around his study. Ex-vampire king, he mentally snapped at himself. He didn't like the idea of handing the throne to anyone. He had big plans. Bigger plans for the vampire race.

Constantly, his eyes moved to the desk where the picture of three boys is located caged inside an expensive photo stand. He took the picture and stared at his three boys, the boys that once taunted him, once taught him, once cried on him...

Now, they're all grown men.

Domovov Vaskovitch is now currently in hiding, probably to protect his family. Colton Wellington had finally given up and is fuming somewhere god knows where and there's Calvin.

He sighed. Calvin had been his favorite among the three of them. He is impulsive, dangerous and very powerful: traits he had when he was younger. He reminded him of himself centuries ago so he gave extra care for the lad. Now, look at him, once a vampire lord, now the vampire king.

And expecting an heir soon.

To a lycan slave.

The glass to the portrait shattered under the impact of his ability, making blood from his thumb seep out and drip to the carpeted floor.

Drip!

Drip!

Drip!

It was supposed to end the monarchy. To destroy the vampire lordship and settle with being regular vampires: no hierarchy, no killing. Just peace. Just like Proteus had envisioned. Just like Annalise had agreed on. It was their vision: their ultimate goal. The vampires would no longer worry for anything but with Calvin on the picture-- the spoilt vampire lord whom he had trained-- the monarchy will reign once more.

The vampire king angrily threw the picture frame to the nearest wall, the sound of shattering echoed on the closed walls of his humble abode.

After calming himself, he stood straighter and stared out of his window. A lone tear stumbled off his eye which he quickly wiped away. He love his sons: the three boys he had spent his entire life training and hoped that they will be the ones to end the monarchy only to go against him completely. He hardened his heart and stared at nothing in particular. One thought circled his mind:

The monarchy needs to be ended. And to end it is to destroy the main source of power:

The new vampire king and his unborn heir.