Chapter 29: Picking Up the Pieces

|HOLLY|

Fear is a crippling feeling. It destroyed you from the inside, crushes your soul, tear your heart to pieces.

Despair is--has always been-- it's partner.

The feeling isn't new to me, after all, I have been through its clutches for the last days and I believed myself to be immune to it. However, I was wrong. So, so very wrong. Fear still crushed me and despair gripped my heart in a vice-like grip that made me gasp for air and scream. It was frightening and sad at the same time...I was frightened and sad.

The moment the doors closed as Matilda pushed the giant wooden oak, I felt like screaming so loud everyone in the castle would stop and hear me. I tried, at least, but I found that I couldn't. There I was, sitting on the marble flooring of Calvin's castle while several bombs went off, shaking the cobble that held the walls for centuries; I just stared at the wooden doors, unable to move...to even scream, like what intended.

Gustav will be fine! He's Calvin's vampire general for fûcks sake! Gustav will be fine! I tried telling myself but I knew it was final. The look he gave me, the words he left me...

...he knew and I knew it was his last.

Tears sprung forth as I clamped my mouth with both of my hands, still staring at the huge doors being barricaded by Matilda. She was screaming something to me but I couldn't comprehend; it seems like my understanding had died with Leo and Gustav as I just stupidly stared at the doors. The bombs going off in the castle didn't matter, the pieces of cement falling in my hair didn't matter...

For a moment, dying didn't seem to matter as well.

I could clearly remember Gustav and Leo...their kind faces smiling at me, spoiling me. Why didn't I thank them? Why didn't I say that simple thank you? I didn't even tell them I love them! I've always thought that I would see them running after Calvin's heir, probably acting like super protective parents...

But they couldn't.

I could never see that and, in the end, it was our loss.

It was everyone's loss.

As if sense began kicking out of my system, something snapped within me and boiling rage consumed me like wildfire. My face contorted with rage as I pushed myself up and screamed before pulling the articles Matilda put on the door to prevent entrance. I was seeing red--I couldn't even stop myself!

I ripped the chairs she used to barricade us against the outside world all the while screaming and crying. I felt her grip my hand but I shook it off easily, sending her sprawling on the ground. I need to save Gustav! I need to save him! The thoughts ran through my mind like an inner mantra.

Fùck you Aldrich!

Fùck you moon goddess!

Fùck you world!

Wood bit on my skin and some sliced my fingers open making small rivulets of blood fall down on my wrists but it didn't bother me at all; my mind was so set in saving Gustav, making him live through all this and imagining a future with him and Calvin where he will be there to teach my child anything...

That was until I was forcefully ripped out of the doorway.

I screamed again and lashed at whoever held me, kicking and pulling. It wasn't until a sharp pain on my my cheek did my muddled mind cleared. Matilda lifted her other hand and slapped me in the other cheek, making me whip my head at the opposite side. Shock and disbelief coursed right through me as I stared at her huffing figure; she was clearly hanging on the thread as well since her usually gunned hair is now gone revealing her stringy peppery hair. The clothes she wore were ripped in the edges and wet from the wet outside while some blood splatters are evident on the clothing.