Epilogue

The sun was shining the moment the fire decided to settle down. The dark storm clouds wavered off in the distance and I watched, with misted eyes, how it slightly contributed to the war. Hundreds of dead bodies lay on the grass of Winchester and the once glorious castle is now a ruin, something tourist would visit years later to take pictures. What they didn't know was that this land took hundreds to thousands of life in one night and forever gave the survivors nightmares they will wake up on every night.

Apparently, professor McConory, my Political Science teacher which is also Calvin's friend, had seen the war in the distance and, knowing that Calvin might be in trouble, contacted every police and fire department to not go there. Now, if you were thinking why he did the opposite of the protocol the answer is simple:

Calvin Campbell is a vampire with dangerous connections. He couldn't let the humans expose us and be brought into danger.

It was a wise choice, in my opinion.

Currently, I am sitting comfortably in a rock, watching as the last wisp of smoke disappeared as the sun began rising. Hours later, people will see what happened to the castle and the media will cover it immediately. I should be hurrying out of the scene, I should be hurrying out of the nightmare I just lived in but I found that I couldn't.

I wanted to see the memory of the once glorious castle standing before me.

Every time I close my eyes, I see my friends, everyone of them--Gustav, Leo, Emile, Erica, Matilda and Diana, Harley-- standing before me, smiling as I walk to them. Somehow, I believed that if I kept my eyes closed, they will still be there waiting for me.

But I need to open my eyes.

I need to live a life. I owe my friends that much.

My eyelids fluttered open and I saw the back of Calvin, rummaging through the ruins of his castle for anything to salvage. He threw rubble and charred books along with blackened armors burnt from the fire last night. The cluttering of the materials echoed even through where I was sitting and I continued watching him, not wanting to stop him. It was his way of dealing with what happened, so I should just give him his peace.

My eyes darted to the left where Colton Wellington, although bruised, battered and scarred, ordered around a few vampires who is still under his reign. The vampire cleaning crew carried charred bodies and dead bodies before dumping them on the back of a truck to bury them, I guess. I felt my eyes water as I see two people carrying a disfigured body of a man who had deep slashes on the body and face almost making it impossible to identify if not for the golden watch that remained in his left wrist.

Gustav loved that watch, I thought As they carted off my friend's body along with the others. I wanted a proper burial for them, I swear I do. It's just, I'm too exhausted to even move. Too tired. Too scared.

Live your life, Holly.

I took a deep breath and shakily exhaled. Rubbing a thumb on my belly, I felt another kick from the baby and smiled. She's s strong one, this little girl is. After all the chaos that happened tonight, she didn't let go of me. She fought as hard as I did and even when she isn't here yet, I am already proud of her.

Calvin continued throwing things and rummaging through the rubble until sometime when he realized he couldn't find anything of importance. He slumped his back and I watched as he stared at his once glorious land that lay on top of the hill. For a moment, I think I see a flash of emotion in his blue eyes until it landed to my sitting figure.