Chapter 19: Coming to Terms

|HOLLY|

Winchester, Europe
June 2015

"Calvin. Calvin, come on. You have to come out of your mourning by now," I said patiently as I knocked on our bedroom door dressed in a yellow sun dress. "I have an appointment today. I was hoping you could come with me?"

No answer.

I sighed and rubbed at my arm in worry. It had been two weeks since the incident. Two weeks since he killed Domovov.

I still remember it as if it was just yesterday; I was deathly scared that night, hearing both the vampire lords screaming and beating each other up. I grabbed Leo and clutched into him for dear life, hoping that it will be all over. I watched as Leo held to me and decided to give him a few of my blood by picking a glass shard and dropping a few drops on his mouth. As expected, the vampire general healed but slowly. Suddenly, I remembered Gustav; if Leo is wounded, then Gustav probably is, too.

Doing the most lady duty, I stood up and positioned Leo to safety before rushing out of the room to look for Gustav. I met the vampire general limping in an attempt to descend the grand staircase; stopping him immediately and scolding him about going to battle wounded. I basically ordered him to stay with Leo in the room in which he begrudgingly obeyed.

Now, for the bigger problem: disaster control. I blew a sigh and practically jumped over the stairs to calm down the staff and a few guests that panicked. It wasn't easy, that much I could say. Finally having the end of the stick, I ordered them all to shut up and left Diana to gather them to the grand ballroom as an evacuation area. Diana gave a frustrated sigh and waved a finger at me before gathering the people. Now that that's taken care of, I needed to see my husband.

I dashed out of the castle, took off my heels and ran through the grass that tickled my soles. I ran to where Calvin and Domovov fell off, worried for my husband. Please don't let him die, please don't let him be hurt, I mentally chanted to myself as my lungs burned at my running. Upon reaching the spot, it shook my to my core.

There knelt Calvin Campbell, blood all over his chest and face, his shoulders shaking in a silent cry. A not breathing body lay beside him.

He killed Domovov.

His best friend.

I let out a breath raggedly and slowly approached him, cautious that he might burst any minute now. "Calvin..." I whispered as I continued approaching him. "Calvin...it's Holly."

He stopped.

"Stay out of this, Holly," he rasped in a whisper. He sniffed once and I knew then that he was crying.

Dear god in heaven, Calvin Campbell--alleged devil of the vampires--is crying.

My heart bled for my husband. He never cries. To see him tear up for his friend must be hard on him.

"Go back. Go away," he said with a much stronger voice. "Leave me alone!"

"No, Calvin, no," I said as I dashed to him and wrapped him on my arms. At first, he struggled for a bit but stopped eventually. Both of us were silent, just reveling on the sudden change of atmosphere. We both sat there beside Domovov's body and I wondered--no--feared Jessica's reaction. She's going to be so heart broken. And Hayley. God, she's just a child!

I tightened my grip on Calvin and that was the exact position Colton Wellington found us after ten minutes. His reaction was just that of Calvin's only a bit dimmer. His eyes widened and he slowly approached Domovov's body before falling to his knees and stared at the corpse of his friend. He ran his fingers through his hair and shouted so loud I think the whole Europe heard him; he, then, brought down his fists on Domovov's bloodied chest before weeping.