PMHB ch27

*                                                *                                                            *                                                *

Warick awoke to someone pounding on the door. It opened to Apollo and a few of his men crowding in.

“Bring them,” Apollo said pointing at him and Avel.

Four guards came forward, two grabbing Warick and two grabbing Avel. They walked on either of their sides, holding their arms as they did. Apollo was taking them further in to the hallway. It took them over ten minutes to get to their destination: a door on their right. It looked just like the countless others that they had passed along the way.

It was a simple room, and in the corner laid a cot. On the cot was a small figured girl. She had long, wavy, rich auburn hair that was pushed behind her ear. She had an angular jaw and her eyes were closed as she slept peacefully. She had a nasty gash over her right eye that was, by the looks of it, healing rapidly. The scabbed-over cut over her eyebrow had given away her identity, it was Neorah; she was alive and breathing steadily.

Avel stepped forward and sat on the cot behind her and looked at Warick. He nodded to Avel in understanding and Apollo closed the door, locking it.

They walked down the hall, maybe twenty steps and came to a second door. Apollo took out a single key from around his neck, unlocking the door. As he opened it, Warick could see that this room was not the same. It was covered in red fabric, the floor padded slightly. There was a single oil lantern that hung from a hook on the ceiling in the far left corner. It hung away from the wall as to prevent a fire.

Next, Warick saw a body, it was a limp figure, unclothed and on its side. It was a young girl. She was facing them on her left side, her knees tucked up slightly, arms bent, covering her chest, so that her head rested on her fists. Warick kept searching the girl’s face. It was Nayeli! What had that monster done to her!

Warick ran into the room and gathered Nayeli in his arms, careful to maintain her modesty.

“You pig! What have you done to her?” Warick said alarmed.

Apollo laughed maniacally and said, “She is still alive, I assure you. I haven’t done anything to her… personally.”

Warick was horrified. He gave Apollo a look in which he mustered as much hatred and disgust as he could. All it did was make Apollo laugh again, even harder.

“Warick, you’re too soft. You and I both know you want her. She’s here for the taking, so, take her.”

“You monster! How could you say that?” Warick was enraged.

“Very well, Mister high and mighty, suit yourself, but I’ve heard it’s a beautiful experience.”

Warick would take no more of this taunting, if the monster wanted a fight, a fight he would get. He gingerly unloaded Nayeli and then stalked quickly toward Apollo. Before he had known what had happened, Warick punched Apollo hard in the jaw. Instead of returning the gesture, however, Apollo just smiled and stepped backward. Four guards flooded in and pounced on him.

Warick felt as they pushed him down and kicked him twice, or so, each until Apollo called them off.

“Enough, gentlemen.”

The guards stalked away from him. They found it disappointing to be ordered to stop. As they walked away, one of them kicked Warick hard in his calf and spit, followed by, “German pig. You don’t deserve any better.”

Warick lay on the floor in pain. There had been a foot placed in his stomach, his back had gotten kicked about four times, the back of his upper thigh, his shins each had one, his shoulder, and Warick thought that one of his ribs was broken. He groaned slightly. In answer, Apollo laughed, again, though shorter this time.

“Here,” Apollo threw Warick a couple of blankets, “now you can cover your little whore up and nurse your own wounds… and your pride.”

Warick didn’t answer and Apollo closed the door and locked it, leaving them.

Warick drug himself to the back wall, opposite the lantern. Then he looked up and saw that Nayeli still lay on the floor. Warick slowly got up, wincing as his rib protested harshly. He threw the blankets to the back of the room and then went to Nayeli. Gently picking her up, as much for her benefit as for his, her head hung backward, her hair billowing beautifully like a cascade. He carefully put her down and bunched up one of the blankets, placing it next to the wall. Warick sat down and tenderly drew Nayeli back into his arms. His head was slightly propped up against the wall, but comfortably so. He lay on his side. Once she was in front of him, Warick covered Nayeli with the other blanket and then pulled her close and protectively. She fit his body perfectly. Warick brushed Nayeli’s hair off her face and up above her as not to lie on it. He wrapped his arms around her small frame and closed his eyes.