PMHB 43

Isobel Deangelo sat in the large parlor of her villa in Verona.

What could have possibly have happened to keep Adalia so long? I told her to retrieve some vegetables for tonight’s supper and it has been over three hours. I know that Vespasian’s nephew is here and may have detained her some, but where is Adalia?

Bella was now becoming concerned. There was no reason for Ada to be gone so long. It had to have been a very good reason.

Her contemplations were interrupted when Jason entered the room, “Bella, there is a man here, Eryx, who is asking to speak to you. Shall I let him in?”

“Yes, of course. I wont let a servant come all this way to ask me something and turn him away. Show him in, please, Jason.”

“Yes’m.”

A man, around five feet, seven inches tall, with brown, tightly curled hair, and dark eyes, walked in. He was the average height and average looks for a servant. He was not remarkably handsome, nor was he ugly. The man is a good average.

“Lady Deangelo, I am Eryx. I am here at the bidding of Emperor Vespasian’s nephew, Marcus. He wishes you and the rest of your family to immediately come to the villa where he is temporarily presiding.”

“I have no choice, do I? Oh well, Jason, prepare my coach, I will go and gather the family. Eryx, would you please sit and have a glass of wine? We will take you with us back to the villa.”

Eryx’ eyes were very thankful and his words were full of gratitude, “I must humbly decline your offer, milady due to class difference. I would not want to tarnish such a good family as yours by riding in your coach with you.”

“Pish, posh!” Bella blurted, “You’re riding with us. Now, sit down and drink a small glass of wine and have a snack. The food is supposed to be eaten, and the wine meant to be drank. Don’t stand on ceremony and say you aren’t hungry. You’re skin and bones!”

“I’d do as she says,” Jason said in his deep, rich voice, “She’ll stay her and watch you eat and drink if you don’t do it on your own.”

Eryx nodded and looked at Bella, “Thank you, milady, you’re most kind.”

“I’ll believe that only when the tray is empty.”

With that, Bella turned and walked toward the staircase. She ascended and turned immediately to her right in to a small hallway that had a single door at the end of it.

This is such a waste of space.

She turned the doorknob and pushed open the door while knocking lightly on the thick wood door. Claudius looked up from his scroll covered desk, “Yes, Bells?”

“We have been summoned to the temporary villa of Emperor Vespasian’s nephew, Marcus, who is there with his new betrothed. No doubt some snobby noble, young lady who has been fed with a golden spoon her whole life.”

“Bella, my dear, there is no need to assume anything. However, you are probably right. But on the off chance that you aren’t, my angel, don’t assume such coarseness of a lady who you have never met.”

Bella snorted playfully at this, “Or what? What will you do?”

She had a playful smile on her lips as her husband, as handsome now as he was fourteen years ago, on their wedding day, spoke, “Or I’ll have to—“

“Mother, Jason said the coach is ready and asked me if I would be so kind as to retrieve you and father,” their eldest boy, Eric, spoke.

“Yes, ma’ boy.” Claudius said, “Get your siblings and we will meet you in the coach.”