PMHB ch16

*                                                *                                                            *                                                *

Warick watched Avel sharply and with a warning in his eye. Avel had considered the possibilities, but the salve prevented any definite answer. Avel looked up at Warick again and said, “ Even though it is covered with the blanket, I strongly advise that the doctor wrap her torso with a bandage.”

“I’ll see to it directly,” Warick said truthfully, wishing he had the training and ability to take care of her himself.

He looked down at Nayeli’s face and found her teeth clenched and her face twisted in pain. Warick knelt beside her and took her hand.

“How do you fair, Nayeli? Is there anything I can get you?” Warick asked frantic.

“Get me out of this blasted bed and on my own two feet. As soon as the doctor wraps my torso, as master Avel has suggested, I fully intend to return to the side of my beloved friend,” Nayeli said with steel in her voice.

“I can remedy your leaving the bed immediately. Your friend...?” Warick said looking at Avel for the ability to recall the name.

“Neorah,” Avel filled in.

“Your friend, Neorah, will be brought here now and will stay by your side,” said Warick.

“I do not just want Neorah by my side. It is the principle of the matter. I cannot be treated any differently from others or there will be jealousy and violence. I believe that neither of us want that, especially myself,” Nayeli said simply.

“No,” Warick said, “I won’t allow you to get up from bed rest. You have orders from the camp physician to rest for, at the very least, two weeks. And even after that, you must not do anything too strenuous that may have a chance of reopening the wound.”

Nayeli looked at him with an almost disgusted look in her eyes and said, “ When have you ever known me to be one who follows orders, especially from a doctor. They are a vile breed who lay bare your ancestry like an open book. I refuse to know this one. I have known many and they are all alike, every one, invasive, uncaring, rough, and so many other horrible traits.”

“Can I inquire--,” Warick started to ask.

“ No! You cannot inquire as to the nature of my claim,” Nayeli snapped.

Warick was curious, but did not press the matter because of her current state of being. However, Warick fully intended to find out what had caused such an outburst as soon as she was well enough to converse with a civil attitude with others.

Nayeli did not do more than look at him with a warning glance and close her eyes. Warick heeded his warning and backed away cautiously out of the tent calling Avel after him. When he came through the tent flaps Warick gave him a simple look that Avel knew well.

“Oh no you don’t! The last time you gave me that look we were fifteen and you wanted me to find out where your brother went while you were off learning to defend yourself against your father and other men. I found out when your brother snuck up behind me and knocked me unconscious that he had been watching the priestesses bathing in the sacred waters of the lake,” Avel refused.

“And is exactly what I intend you to do this time. But, I want you to find out Nayeli’s past, ” Warick said with a hint of playful sarcasm.

“Really… Warick?” Avel asked with something in his voice akin to mockery.