PMHB ch15 (Pic of Warick)

*                                                *                                                            *                                                *

Warick had gone to meet the Roman raiders of the empire. He was more fidgety then than he could even recall in the future. I hope none of my men have said anything foolish, Warick thought fervently, but to whom, he did not know. If they have, they could very well have sentenced us all to death, or worse, a life of gladiatorial bondage.

As he followed Avel’s two guards, Warick kept saying, “Quickly now. We can’t afford to keep them waiting any longer than we have to.” Every time he said that, the guards’ feet moved a little faster, Warick following suit.

It seemed like it had been forever by the time they reached the temporary clump of men and horses. Warick trotted up and hailed, “I apologize for the wait and for all of your troubles. I am called,” Warick searched for a false name, one that they surely wouldn’t recognize from rumors. Finding none off the top of his head, Warick thought it wiser to tell the Roman his birth name for safety reasons, “Warick.”

“I am called Apollo. Out of pure curiosity, where is the Aphrodite that went to fetch you?” Apollo asked.

“There have been… complications in events the past few days and she has been ordered to mandatory rest by the conditions of the body,” Warick explained, trying to conceal as much as possible.

“Awe… I see. That is very unfortunate, indeed. May my men and I dismount and go somewhere that we may converse with you to find a way to settle so you good people may continue on your way?” Apollo asked.

Warick shivered. The Roman’s name translated, directly, as “destroyer”. Let us all pray, fervently, that the man does not emulate his name, Warick thought.

“Of course, brother. Forgive my men’s rudeness. Join me. We shell erect a place of eating for our negotiations,” Warick said, beckoning over and ordering about twenty of his men to fulfill his orders.

“Yes, indeed. May I return to my camp and fetch more of my men?” Apollo asked, politely.

“Of course, brother. I shall send hunting parties to fetch dinner while you ride,” Warick said hopeful. His hopes were seen through by Apollo’s reply.

“When I go to fetch my men, I shall do the same and send my own hunting parties so that we will have enough food to feed us all,” Apollo said in a friendly manner.

Warick dipped his head slightly as a farewell and watched the Roman turn his steed, beckoning the rest of his men to follow. About twenty yards away, Apollo turned and called, “We will return at dusk to feast and compromise your price for passing this way.”

Warick’s heart had a bittersweet taste to it. He was relieved that they had enough time to erect the canvas, and, now, to make rudimentary tables and benches. Warick scoped the landscape and found a slight rise and said, “Call all the men to this clearing, except those guarding prisoners and law breakers. I have some words to speak that could save many lives this night.”

Within ten minutes, Warick saw all the men that he had summoned standing before him. He spoke loud and clear, “We are preparing a feast this evening, but, before you cheer, know that there is a Roman raiding party that is going to be joining us for the evening’s festivities. If any of you cause any fights while you are sober, I swear, I will have you abandoned in a town’s local coliseum to fend for yourselves in the gladiatorial games. I do not care who you are, or what ranking you hold in this camp, I exceed you all. You will obey. If you insult them, or provoke any of the Romans, you will pay dearly. This evening could decide all of our fates. If you defy my orders, I swear by every god known and unknown, you will not see your families again, but only in your dreams.”