PMHB ch17

*                                                *                                                *                                                *

Warick was busy overseeing the shrewd construction of tables and benches when Avel came up to him saying, “the hunters are back.”

“Do they have enough kills for about two hundred men?” Warick asked, prospectively.

“They have enough to feed the whole Roman military!” Avel exaggerated.

“Good. Just as I had hoped,” Warick said turning back to the tasks at hand.

Warick was determined to make sure that this evening’s events were a success. He wouldn’t be able to bare watching all his men and, as vile as he may be, Hermun being drug away in chains to face the cruel, unforgiving gladiatorial games. They were a cruel practice, those ‘games’. They had absolutely nothing entertaining about them, only reflecting savage nature of the Roman citizens.

“How does that taste?” Warick asked the cook stirring the massive cauldron.

“Taste it if you’d like, sir,” the cook said proffering a spoonful of the steaming liquid.

Warick took a cautious sip of the broth and found it to be delicious… well, as delicious as it could get while they were on the move with improper herbs and spices.

“What is in that?” Warick asked rather excited.

“Elk, a couple of the local vegetables that were actually edible, a couple of the native spices, and salt,” the cook said plainly.

“Well, not that any of that was actually easy for me to understand, but keep up the good work and,” Warick said over his shoulder as he walked away, “Please, make sure that there is enough for us all. In other words, no more taste testing.”