16. Keep Holding On

Thalia's POV

As I press my warm black jacket to my face, I let out a groan. I can't completely decide if it's out of frustration or pleasure from the warmth on my skin.

"So that's your family?" Ashton asks quietly as I put my jacket into the rucksack. "They seem nicer than you described to me."

I snort. "That's what my family was like before my dad lost his job. We were the perfect family. I'm honestly super shocked that they're still looking for me."

"Well of course they are," Ashton remarks as he wraps an arm around my shoulders. "You're a daughter and a big sister. They would be crazy not to."

Shrugging, I wriggle myself out of his grip and throw the jacket and the rest of the warm laundry into my rucksack. Hopefully the lack of air will keep our extra clothes somewhat toasty, just in case it gets a bit cold tonight.

"I mean, it's nice that they are," I continue. "But I ran off for a reason."

"But," Ashton interrupts. "That reason seems to have gone away. At least, that's what it looks like."

I turn my head to the left, looking directly into Ashton's eyes. They're soft, but also have a matter-of-fact look. He isn't backing down.

Throwing my bag over my shoulder, I lead the way out of the laundromat. "So you're saying that you want me to go all the way back to Perth?" I joke.

"If you wanted to go back now, I wouldn't stop you," he replies quietly. "I would take you back to keep you safe, of course, but I wouldn't make you stay with me."

After taking a glance at the cars zooming through the streets, Ashton and I run to the other side of the road towards the nearest Macca's.

"You would do that for me?" I ask him. "Really?"

He grabs my hand, giving it a light squeeze. I won't deny the flutter my heart gets when he touches me. "Of course I would. It's your life, and if you feel the safest with your family, away from me, so be it."

I return the squeeze as a smile appears on my face. Sometimes, I underestimate everything about Ashton that is good. I feel like I'm blinded by his secrets and the rage he gives me sometimes. Maybe, just maybe, he truly loves me.

Love. The word is so controversial. It's overused and misunderstood. I don't understand it all anymore. I mean, my dad always said he loved me, and he's the reason I am where I am today.

But as I look at Ashton, I almost feel grateful for it all. I feel almost as if I'm supposed to be here with him. Despite the conditions and circumstances, I think I'm finally starting to realize how important he's become to me.

Suddenly, as if it were an impulse, I press a lingering kiss to his jaw. My head rests on his shoulder as I wrap my other arm around his. "That's honestly the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me."

I feel him lazily shrug his shoulders, before wrapping a strong arm around my waist. "I try."

Nestling my head into his shoulder, I let out a long sigh. The past few days have been overwhelming. All I want is to be able to start my peaceful new life. Scratch that, I need to be able to start my peaceful new life.

When we reach the strangely busy Macca's, Ashton grabs my jacket out of my rucksack and hands it to me. My head shoots up as I raise an eyebrow.

"Throw it on, then put your hood up," he orders sternly. I have the urge to reply with a loud, "Yes, sir!"

I do as he says, and I immediately feel sweat dripping down my back. Oh, summer is a bitch to a girl who is trying to hide in all black.

"Make sure you keep your face hidden as much as possible," Ashton mutters as he puts his hand on the door. "The last thing we need is someone on our tail again."