09. With a Little Help From My Friends

Thalia's POV

I wake up in a field of flowers, and I see a familiar tan boy standing a little ways away from me.

"You know," Calum says as he walks toward me. "You're forgetting something that could really help you and Ashton."

"What the hell are you doing here?" I ask him, sitting up sharply. "And how the hell do you know Ashton?"

He smirks, but I don't feel the slightest bit attracted to him anymore. I'm more angry than anything. He stays silent, gazing at the scenery around me.

"Well?" I ask in a demanding tone. "Are you just gonna ignore me? Because you're seriously starting to make me angry."

He says nothing. He just looks at me like he's expecting something.

"Calum!" I scoff. "If you're gonna stare at me and ignore my questions, then get the hell out of my dream!"

He tilts his head to the left slightly. "I see. You're angry."

I give him a blank stare. "Not at all! I'm so fucking happy with the fact that you slept with me and left during the night!"

He bites his lip and sits down beside me. My hands clench into fists.

"Get any closer and I swear to God, I'll hit you," I threaten.

He puts his hands up in defense. "Do you want my help or not?"

I sigh. We started running low on food about three weeks after Christmas. Fortunately, we've made it another week without having to dig through dumpsters like raccoons.

"Please help me," I beg him. "Help us."

He nods. "Well, you're running low on food, right?"

I nod, my mouth open slightly. "Yeah," I reply. "How did you--"

"Thalia," he interrupts me. "I'm in your dream. I'm a figment of your imagination. I know everything, even though I may not in real life."

I reach out and touch his cheek. I pinch it a little bit. It feels so as squishy as I remember.

"Why does everything seem so real, then?" I ask him.

He pats my knee. "Some dreams are like that, Thalia. You and I both know that your recurring nightmares have never felt more real."

I lick my lips. "What can you do to help me?"

"Turn around," he orders. I do as I'm told, and I see Ashton sleeping on what appears to be coal.

I glance at Calum. "What's going on? Why is he sleeping on that?"

"Just watch," he answers.

I see several black figures start to walk toward him. My eyes widen in panic.

"No!" I cry out. "ASHTON! They're coming!"

I continue to call out his name, and I get no response.

"He can't hear you," Calum explains. "As vivid as this may seem, you can't control it. I guess you could say this is more like... A mind palace."

"A mind palace?" I ask him, stifling a laugh. "I'm not Sherlock Holmes, Calum."

He narrows his dark eyes. "You know what I mean, Thalia. Everyone has something similar to this. It's a place where they can think, problem-solve, and just let go of reality for a little while."