06. Secrets

Ashton's POV

I reluctantly open my eyes, not wanting to get up. God knows I haven't slept this good in years.

When I look to my left, Thalia is still curled up on her side, her head tucked under my chin and holding my arm that's draped over her waist. I smile lightly, glad that she's calm and so at peace.

Carefully, so I don't wake her, I roll over and check the time on the clock next to my side of the bed. I have to squint hard to see it, but my shitty eyesight finally allows me to see that it's 11:03.

I sigh, my body and head battling on whether I should get out of bed or not. Huh, sleeping in a bed is not something I'm used to. As many things that I've become used to, like shitting in holes in the ground, I've forgotten what being in a house is actually like. Maybe travelling to Sydney with Thalia was a good idea, after all.

I shut my eyes again, allowing myself ten more minutes of warmth and comfort. I need to relax for once in my life. I've been so scared to trust people and my surroundings, it's nice to be comfortable.

I'm not quite sure what possessed me to follow Thalia to Sydney. I mean, yeah, I've always wanted to go there, but I've learned from experience that staying in one place can be more dangerous than staying on the run.

I shut my eyes tighter, trying to block the memories flooding my brain. They've been torturing me for two years, and I don't think they'll ever stop. Whatever has been messing with Thalia has probably messed with me, too.

Thalia.

My eyes open sharply, and I gaze down at the small, black-haired girl sleeping beside me. She looks so innocent and peaceful, but so fragile.

My mind wanders back to the night before, when I woke up to the sound of her cries. I don't even know her that well, but I know the circumstances. I was her age when I ran off. I know the nightmares, I know the fears, I know the struggle.

Part of me thinks that I tagged along because of this, because she doesn't seem to deserve the hardship, the pain. Another part of me believes it's because I need to protect myself.

I've made so many mistakes during my life. Some of them will most likely cause my death.

If I find a place to finally settle down, maybe I can find a way out. Maybe I can finally be able to live life like I wish I would have, instead of falling into the wickedness that has ruined me.

The only thing I can really think about now is what could possibly be plaguing this young girl. What possessed her to run away? Are her nightmares her motives?

I finally get out of bed, trying to push these thoughts out of my head. When I reach the door, I turn back to look at my new companion. There's so much I want to know, so much I want to learn about her, but that means that she'll have to learn about me. That's the last thing I want to happen. She'll never be able to look me in the eye again.

I leave the room, quietly shutting the door behind me. When I get downstairs, Caspar is sitting on his couch, watching whatever is on the telly.

"You're a crazy bastard, Ashton Irwin," he says without making eye contact with me.

"Haven't I always been?" I muse. "You of all people should know, mate."

"I do, but it's different now," he walks toward me. "When we were kids, it was just jumping off the roof of the buildings at summer camp, or the roof of our house. Now, it's much deadlier."

I raise an eyebrow as a shiver runs down my spine. Does he know?

"W-what do you mean?" I ask him, making no attempt to hide the fear in my voice. Caspar is one of the only people I've ever trusted, even if he was my stepbrother for only three years.