•39•

I irked.

My scalp was dying.

Just then, another group of people  approached us.

Jeez.

This time it was a smaller group of very young boys. They couldn't be any older than six.

"Hey look!" One of them shouted, pointing at Bakugo.

"Hey! He's the boy who got attacked by that sludge villain!" He shouted in acknowledgment.

"What did you say you little twat!" He cursed.

"Bakugo!" Me and Best Jeanist simultaneously shouted at him.

Typically I would care less but, I don't know what it is about children. Maybe it's a maternal instinct, or a habit to defend them. Something I could've picked up from someone from my past.

Bakugo stepped back from the children as they began crying.

I stepped over and knelt down in front of the children. I took his hand from his cheek and whipped his tears away.

"Calm down. Breathe." I coached the child into breathing in a regular pattern. He calmed down and looked me in the eye.

"Who are you? Are you a pro?"

"No, but maybe one day. And if that day comes, you'll know me as Elpída . But for now, you can call me Pandora."

He looked happier. Before rising back to my feet, I pulled a few lollipops from the air. I handed them to the children. They went along their merry way.

My head began noticeably hurting. Bakugo messed his hair up, so I pull the clips from my hair and let out a sigh of relief. I ran my hands through my, miraculously untangled, hair.

I undid the Velcro on the back of the hood, pulling my hair through it. This way I could wear my hood, while leaving my hair out. I also pulled my mask back up, covering my mouth and nose.

"Shall we get to work? Or are we going to stand around all day." I inquired, putting my hand on my hip.

We began walking down the sidewalk.

"Now every agency in the area has their own routes and areas of the city to patrol. When you have more than one agency patrolling, it's likely the area that's between both gets over looked. They assume the other agency will patrol it, sometimes that causes no one to over see it."

Good to know. These over looked areas can be an advantage. But, I don't know how that works out back in UA's territory. Every where I went had pros, UA had requested pros from all over Japan it seems. The good thing is they don't seem to be fully versed in the city's winding streets.

Bakugo was ahead, leading the patrol in what ever direction he liked. Best Jeanist was ranting about how Bakugo's pride would be the downfall of his future. Meanwhile, I trailed behind them. Thinking about what I told that child.

"Maybe one day..."

I would never be a hero. This isn't isn't going to end that way. With me living as a hero, helping people, fighting bad guys.

It isn't plausible.

I would end up in prison if they found out who I really was. They wouldn't be naive. People don't really change. I'll always be a danger to society. No amount of prison time, counseling, or brainwashing can change that.

My heart is filled with malicious intent. My mind is versed in every way to cause harm and chaos. My stomach is filled with the flesh of unsuspecting victims of my cannibalistic tendencies. And in my flesh is burned, the mark of a villain.

And soon, the world will know of my true nature. UA's reputation will be destroyed. I will be hunted. Killed.

How soon?

The sun settled below the sea. Earlier we had came back to the heroine agency, finished with our patrols. We retired to our rooms provided by the agency, to change out of our hero costumes. It was about six in the evening. We were given a few hours to go out into the city.

I pulled a knee length skirt with flowers printed on them. Along with it, a plain black, knit, turtle neck.

I stepped out into the streets of the moonlit city. The breeze was blowing and the smell of salt water filled my nose.

I walked into a small restaurant that was down the street. I walked in and sat down.

After eating I left. I didn't want to go back to the agency. I wondered the streets, into a dark and abandoned area of the city.

I walked slowly, not really thinking about anything. Until... a fair sized cat, the color of midnight, rushed past me. It's hair was scraggly.

"Where are you going, Kitty?" I chased after it.

I trotted after in, for a few meters. It curved, darting into a dead end.

I watched as it jumped up, into someone's arms. As I was about to explain, they stepped into the luminescent of a window.

My eyes trailed up from the cat. Standing there holding the mangy cat. Red, glowing orbs captured mine.

"I feel like those patterns were made just for you." Nariko's voice was like velvet against my skin.

"You did pick them out." I felt tears welt up in my eyes. "I went by and got Salem, I thought you were dead." I tried to laugh.

"Of course I am."

"What?"

"Come on, let's go on the roof."

I followed her to the back of a ratty looking motel. We climbed the fire escape to the roof.

Nariko climbed onto the cement before I followed. Once I got to the top, I bent down and brushed the dust off of me.

"Salem misses you."

No response.

I leant up. Nariko was so where in sight. "Nariko? Where'd you go?"

I walked around to perimeter of the roof, looking behind every corner.

"Pandora." I voice front the center of the roof cooed. I turned on my heel to face them.

"Master?" I rushed to his feet. "What are you doing in the open!?" My heart dropped. I couldn't breathe.

"It's time for you to end this life."