Chapter 32 - Up for a Fight

Charles gasped when the glass rained down on them, and beside him, Kit did too.

Yelping, the blond stumbled backwards out into the street, away from the falling shards. But the teenager didn't budge.

"That's not - " he said, pausing, before his face twisted again and he bent down, scooping a few small rocks up off the sidewalk.  

"That's - that guy - ah fuck it!" He swung his arm back.

"He doesn't want you!"

Kit threw his handful and the stones bounced off the bricks next to the broken window where Hunter was standing.

"Get that!!!"

"Kit, oh my God, please, he's calling the police!"

Hunter was holding up his phone in plain view, dialling, looking down on them.

The boy stood his ground. He didn't look afraid - only angry. Charles wished he could feel that way...

With a snarl, Kit swept up more rocks and hurled them, this time with better aim, so that they plinked against the window pane, one flying inside, just missing the man standing there. 

"He's not your thing so fuck off!!!"

Ducking to search for more rocks on the sidewalk, he found a small one and this time it hit the window, Hunter moving back as the glass cracked.

"Kit!"

"To hell with him, Charlie! He hurt you!"

"Come on, we have to go, the police, the neighbours - "

"That's not Amos, Charlie!"

"Amos? Why would it - "

"Never mind!!!"

He found another rock and hurled it.

"Kit! Stop, please, come on, we have to run!"

Grabbing his wrist, Charles turned, dragging the smaller man away, running.

"Damn it!" Kit growled. "Did you go with him before? Is that jerk really your boyfriend?!"

"No! I mean, I went with him, yes, but he'd not - we never dated! And I tried to leave, tonight, I did but he - I changed my mind but he wouldn't let me - "

"You said no and he didn't listen? Asshole."

Then they were running, limping, yet laughing somehow, giggling, giddy and breathless. The laughter was bubbling up inside Charles, and he let go of Kit's arm to clutch at his side. Exercise was not his strong suit on a good day.  

It was absurd, and they were both exhausted, but they were free, together, alive - and the morning was beautiful.

"That was my boss!!!" he yelled, still laughing.

"You boss? Damn, thought he was just a coworker?" Kit snorted. "Well, guess that's one way to quit..."

Something seemed to dawned on him. "You are sleeping with your boss! I asked, that one time, and you - !"

"I was. And it started a long time ago, in college. I..." He swallowed, his giddiness dying away, looking down. "It's so old, this thing with Hunter, it's so rooted in me and I...I just..."

"It's a big country," Kit said decisively, throwing out his hands. "We can move somewhere else. Away from him."

"We are in so much trouble," Charles muttered, out of breath. "Oh no - you threw a bottle at him! And rocks!"